Thank God For Guard Cows!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ncgnance, Feb 24, 2008.

1. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    Now, I know some of you might not believe what I'm about to tell, but it is the truth, so help me! Saturday morning started out pretty much the same as any other Saturday morning- dog fed, chickens fed and let out, two steers, Oreo and T-bone fed the usual sweet feed and hay. My daughter, Tracie and I were having our coffee, talking over chores for the day, when I saw a chicken run by the kitchen window. Now, where is she going, I said to Tracie. I walked out onto the deck to see if our young, testosterone -ridden rooster was chasing her, when I hear Tracie behind me gasp, "Oh, God, the fox has our hen!" Have you ever tried to run in bedroom slippers and a housecoat that comes to your ankles? You don't get far. We're both screaming at that fox to PUT HER DOWN, GET OUTTA HERE!! Tracie started back in the house to get the gun when, all of a sudden, here come the cows, wide open, down through the pasture, dead after that fox. Tracie forgot about the gun, and took off after the cows. All I could do was stand there and watch, and gasp for breath. They all disappeared for a moment, then, miracle of miracles, I see the little hen, running free. When the hen saw Tracie, she practically flew into her arms. While I'm saying my "Thank you, God", here they come, walking this time, back to the house, Tracie, the hen, and our two guard cows. From the looks of the tracks, the cows slid into the fox, who dropped the hen. A happy ending to what could have been a sad story. The cows got an extra ration of sweet feed, and the dog, well I guess she didn't want to get involved. She was asleep on my bed the whole time.

2. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    wow thats a mircle, Go cows i think they earned there keep ?

3. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    great to hear that. you really need to sell that to readers digest. wish i could have seen that. [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Every cow I've ever known loved a good chase! Give 'em a hug for me!

5. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    yeah some cows do like chasing things, our always liked to chase the dog. Thank god your do!!!!

6. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    Wow, thats sorta gonna make it harder to eat the cows now isn't it....lol.

Can you imagine the story that fox is telling right now...lol

Julie [​IMG]

7. roosters97

roosters97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    Quote:"hey ernie guess what happen to me,had dinner in my mouth and a boulder fell on me!!!!!!" LOL [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  8. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    What a great story [​IMG]

9. chickenbutt

chickenbutt Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2007
    Richmond, Virginia
    That's great! I want some cows. I hope there won't be any more fox problems.

10. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    I'll bet that old fox thought, "that's the damndest dog I ever saw!!!" I would love to think that he won't be back, but for now we can't leave the chickens out anymore. The fox we had that lived in our woodpile never offered to bother us. I saw him playing with sticks out in the pasture. But the coyotes got him, I think. I found him a couple of months ago, killed by something. This fox is new to the neighborhood, so we'll have to come up with new rules. And you're right- its gonna make it hard to put my guard cows in the freezor. God, I wish I could have filmed it. It was PRICELESS!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by