Thank goodnes for this site! Help identify please!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bumbleB, Aug 22, 2014.

1. bumbleB

bumbleB New Egg

Aug 22, 2014
    Yavapai County, Az
    Ok so I was out of town for a night, just one, and I come home to find a chicken in my back yard! I guys when the wife is away the boys will play...or just bring home a chicken! So I have never cared for a chicken before, I have successfully raised a child, dogs, parrot, bunny..., but not a chicken so I could use a few pointers. First what kind of chicken is she, shes black with a green sheen and some reddish brown spots on her neck and chest, she seems super sweet but a little skiddish still. I named her "Chicky" ( so clever, right?) I have been feeding her some of produce, I was able to google what chickens can and cant eat, (that's where I found this lovely site) and have to figure out a way to build a cheap easy hen house, so any advice would be great for that. We have a small kiddie pool out back that is low enough that she can get water but is there something better I could be using for her water? Thanks in advance for any help and comments.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

I can't see the red spots from these photos, but if she has them, then she is probably a Black Sex-link. If she didn't have the red, I would think she was a Black Austrolorp. Both breeds are very gentle and make excellent egg layers.

There are many coop plans available on the Internet, and on BYC. If you haven't already, I would check out the BYC coop page: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops The Learning Center has great information on raising chickens, too: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

If you plan on keeping "Chicky," then it would be best if you got some commercial chicken feed and started feeding her that. Chickens love produce/other treats, but those foods don't offer them a complete diet. Since she's a hen, you would want to get "layer feed."

As for water, the kiddie pool might suffice, or you could purchase a chicken waterer from a local livestock supply store/farm store. There are many brands of waterers, but below is an example of one: [​IMG]

Good luck with her! She's a beautiful hen!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2 on Bantamlover21's advice.

I would also think of getting a friend for "Chicky" (cute name by the way). Chickens are flock animals that enjoy living together. A lonely chicken won't be completely happy. Ideally, you want 2-3 chickens. I'm sure that you can find another hen or two needing a good home; maybe see if a local farm has an extra, or post on Craigslist or go to a local feed store. There is also a section on BYC for Buying/Selling/Trading. Here is a link to it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/67/buy-sell-trade

Best wishes to you and "Chicky"!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC - in addition to Bantamlover's great post, if you do keep "chicky" you would do well to get her a friend (or two or three) - they are flock animals.

5. bumbleB

bumbleB New Egg

Aug 22, 2014
    Yavapai County, Az
    Thank You for the advice, its much appreciated. I will have to get to cal-ranch or something today and get her some feed and a waterer. I have always wanted chickens, just didn't expect a sudden exec decision from the hubby. I always see chickens on craigslist and will definitely look into that. Thanks again guys! so happy for this site

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by