THANK GOODNESS HANSEL IS OK!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dogzrule5, Aug 9, 2008.

1. dogzrule5

dogzrule5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Sanford, NC
    OMG - my poor Hansel could have been so seriously injured by my stupidity!!!

When I opened the barn door a while ago the geese were not honking loudly to greet me the way they always do. I didn't think too much about it but I was aware. I have a double door system, the solid barn door and an interior scrren door made with h/w cloth. I had the solid door open and through the screen I saw in the lower right corner of the barn a large white something - which shouldn't have been there. The sun was shining right on the screen so I couldn't make out what it was but immediately thought is had to havve been one of the geese. I through open the door and there was a good (turned out to be Hansel) pinned under a wood pallet!!!

I quickly ran in and lifted the pallet and up he came. His head and neck were between two of the boards but the entire weight of the pallet was fully on him! He pulled himself free and ran out of the barn.

OMG - thank goodness the pallet is a small one and very, very old and dry, which made it lightweight. I've had it in the barn for years as a ladder for the chickens to get up to their roosting area. Hansel must have for some reason poked his head between the slats and knocked it off balance. He had actually dragged it about seven feet across to the other side of the barn.

All the young girls that were just moved into the barn this week were gathered in the furthest corner of the barn, so I'm guessing and hoping that it had happened fairly recently.

I couldn't closely examine him b/c he was so upset but he does have full use of his wings. I saw a small scraped area on the elbow of his right wing and some feathers are loose, which he is preening to pull out.

I absolutely shudder to think of what could have happened - a broken wing or neck. I would never have forgiven myself! Needless to say, I've removed the pallet from the barn. [​IMG]

2. dogzrule5

Apr 14, 2008
    Sanford, NC
    well, obviously I'm still so upset that there are many typos in my post but you can make sense of it. [​IMG]

3. Ladysonja

Ladysonja Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Porter, Texas
    Hi dogzrule5 -

I've read several of your stories about Hansel and Gridel... good to hear that he is ok.

Don't be too upset with yourself. Things happen.

Keep the stories coming.

4. dogzrule5

Apr 14, 2008
    Sanford, NC
    Hey Ladysonja,

I'm beginning to think Hansel is just accident prone! The other evening I was getting everybody in the barn and Hansel got his foot stuck in a small rope latch and tripped! He didn't get hurt though and I just laughed at him.

He also has sprained his ankle a couple of times so I bought some lumber and made ramps for them to go in and out of the barn. Well he hissed at the wood and won't go near the ramp, so I took them away. They had stayed in the barn all day and wouldn't come out!

I'm sure I'll continue to have stories about these two! [​IMG]

Phyllis

5. Ladysonja

Ladysonja Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Porter, Texas
    Hey Phyllis -

Maybe just has to left web feet - hehehehe!

I'm sure Grettle as laughing at him too...

Between my hens and your geese, I'm sure we will have tons of stories to share. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by