1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Thank goodness ( I didn't go to the feed store)...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kb010, Mar 27, 2009.

1. kb010

kb010 Out Of The Brooder

So, knowing my vulnerability to things cute, small, and fuzzy, I asked my mom to pick up a bale of pine shavings today from the feed store.
    ...and it's a good think I did, bc they had little ducks and RIRs. I need neither of these things (but I'm sure they would be cute to have around)! and she was able to remain strong.
    She picked up a back of that pelleted horse bedding instead (which I love--we use it with our horses).
    My babies are being shipped out monday, and I just can't wait. I'm using randall burkey. how many packing peanuts do you think I'll get with 15 BOs? I think it would be fun to receive a few, but of course if not....it's not the end of the world.

ah, the waiting is driving me crazy. [​IMG]

2. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    How exciting. It is a good thing you didn't go. You are going to have your hand full in a few days. Is pelleted horse bedding similar to pine shavings?

3. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    [​IMG] !! They sure are addicting. We started with 16 chicks almost two years ago and now we have a ton more, plus quail and ducks!!! The insanity never ends! But we love it. Good luck with your chicks - I'm partial to BO's myself [​IMG] The waiting is the hardest part.

4. kb010

kb010 Out Of The Brooder

Is pelleted horse bedding similar to pine shavings?

Pelleted horse bedding is great. It comes in a little bag. Essentially it is saw dust compressed down into pellets. Before the babies come i will wet it a little bit and the pellets expand. then I will mix it around and it will "fluff up" into this soft, fluffy bedding. I will put the paper towels over it for the first few days to avoid confusion, but I really love this stuff. cleaning it is the best part--it cleans kinda like kitty litter and you only pick out the clumps of poo.

yeah, I'm excited about my 15 babies. I ordered pullets, and if we get a few roos they will go into the freezer when they're old enough. Maybe mom will let us keep just one so we can be a self-renewing flock...? So I live in PA, and I'm wondering whether to expect my babies tuesday or wed (they are being shipped out monday)? I have class on tuesday at 9AM and wed. at noon, so I'm hoping they come on wed. but if they come tuesday it won't be the end of the world.

you guys should alleviate my anxiousness by telling stories and posting pics of you babies/BOs =] lol​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by