Thank goodness the neighbor's cocker spaniel is obese...

smudge

Songster
8 Years
Mar 20, 2013
Long Island, NY
... or I'd have at least 1 dead chicken today. How best to handle the situation of owners who are clueless about being dog owners?

This is not the first time the dog has gotten out. It is not the first time this dog has come into my yard and harassed my chickens (even in the relative safety of their run, it was still frightening for them). After getting out a few times last summer, the other chicken owner on my street, she approached the owners AND BUILT A DOG RUN FOR THEM, charging them only the cost of materials.

The owners are obviously not using the run - too much bother with the cold and snow. And judging from what I saw today, the leash wasn't broken, they simply weren't using it. I suspect they figured that because it was cold that the dog would just do it's business and beg to come back in, not realizing that it's now 30+ after days in the teens.

After chasing the dog home (2 streets away) and going home to check on my girls, I called the owner. She was clearly lying, "Oh, I guess the leash must have broken... I wondered why he was on the porch." I'm pretty sure you know whether on not you put a leash on the dog.

I get that they're elderly, and have trouble getting out, but I don't accept this as an excuse.

Any pointers on how the deal with the situation?

It sounds as if the neighborly approach has failed. I would notify animal control of the situation, and the next time that the dog came to my yard I would leash it (assuming that it is not a biter) and take it to animal control.

I'm not sure where the cops will stand on animals if you know where they live (if they are collared for example and you've been to the house). Be aware that animal control might tell you to just take it home again as it's not a stray.

Are there any local ordinances about unleashed dogs?

All of Long Island has an ordinance that the dog must be under control at all times when off their property. It's as lacks as walking next to owner to as strict as no longer than a 6 foot leash at all times. Any dog to be "at large" will be picked up by animal control.

I'd as friendly as possible tell the owners that if their dog is off leash and at large again then you will call animal control. Sourland is correct in that you may hold the animal on your land and call to have it impounded. Owners will be liable for any fees.

If it happens again catch the dog and take to a shelter. They'll have to pay a fee and hopefully will be more careful about keeping him/her contained. We don't have a shelter that will take dogs from our area (outside the city limits) but I know people who have caught dogs and told the shelter the found the dog "on the way to town" or "on the edge of town" ext...a white lie yes but better than what the local authorities would tell us to do:).

Thanks all! I have located the relevant portion of the town code on licensing and control, and am getting up the courage to file a report. I think that I should do so in order to document that the dog trespassed in case this happens again.

I don't like to be confrontational, but meh, these are the same neighbors that were against having a 3 way stop sign at the corner their house is on because the sound of cars stopping and starting "would be disruptive".
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom