Thank Heaven's for good health insurance! (Worst pic on the Internet!!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by WriterofWords, Dec 17, 2009.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I gave in and on my Principal's orders I went to the Dr. after school about my sinuses. I've been having trouble since Sept. and since I've had so much work on my face and have the steel plates and screws, any swelling or pressure really hurts. When I woke up this morning the swelling on the left side of my face was so bad there was no indentation between my eye socket and the bridge of my nose. It really hurt, I couldn't breathe at all through that side, even the students were worried all day. So I go to the Dr.
    I hate the pre-Dr. screenings, blood pressure, pulse, temp all that good stuff because I have low all the way around. The male nurse took my BP, it was higher than normal, it was 93/56 my pulse was 65 and my temp 97.2. For me that is pretty darn good! After convincing the nurse his equipment was just fine ( stop that! medical equipment!), the Dr. came in, she's a sweetie I love her to death,, except when she suggests I'm not the brightest bulb on the chandelier, which she did today. She looked up my nose and said "Holy Crap" this has been going on how long?? Then she pushed on my face! And had the nerve to tell me I shouldn't use language like that,,, So yes, I have the worst case of sinusitis she's ever seen, massive infection, movement of the plates due to swelling, etc. etc. etc. Ok, so now the shots,, then the prescriptions,, holy cats I love my insurance!
    First the cashier in the pharmacy tells me $378, after the smelling salts were applied and the priest called (exaggeration) I asked if that was AFTER my insurance???? She looked at and said "Oooopsy!!!" After she applied my insurance it came out to $45.97,, the two Z packs were $2.00 ea,, the Prednisone was $2.00 but the decongestant was $45 bucks! I know when I help my mom it's expensive,, but dang I'm glad I have good insurance on me and Steven through the district!!!!!
    Hopefully tomorrow I'll have a recognizable face too.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Good grief Kate!!!! Why in the world did you wait so long???? You have GOT to take care of yourself!!!! SPANK SPANK!!!

3. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Wow, glad you went in ! Hope you feel better soon! [​IMG]

4. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Well, right before she insulted my intelligence I told her I waited because I thought it would it go away! Then I told her I really couldn't afford a Dr. and drugs right now,, she insulted me again,, But honestly? I've had so many surgeries on my face and sinuses I'm afraid to be told I need more work, because I know I do, and I don't want it, can't afford it, and can't deal with the thought of it.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Kate ignoring your bodies warning signs is only gonna make things worse. If you take care of your health the rest of the stuff can wait. And if you have to have surgery, I would seriously leave work and sit there next to you. Tell me when.

6. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Glad you got it taken care of. I've only had sinusitis one time - when I was pregnant with DS. Because I was pregnant, I didn't want to take anything and the doc didn't want to prescribe most antibiotics. But finally I couldn't take it any more. It hurt just to bend down and tie my shoes and I couldn't breathe - at all. I got to the point I almost wished I would just stop breathing in my sleep, I was so tired of being miserable. At that point I went to the doc who said because I was now in my third trimester, she could prescribe stuff she couldn't have given me earlier. The morning after I started taking it, I woke up able to breathe for the first time in weeks and there was such a spring in my step walking into work that morning that my co-worker noticed! Until that experience, I never really understood why sinusitis was so bad. Now I know. Hope you feel better soon!

7. Laney

Laney Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Spring Hope, NC
    Yup, this is my Father in law walking around with one leg 1/2" to a full inch shorter than the other because he kept putting off getting his ankle worked on until there was nothing they could do but fuse the thing completely..and even then there wasn't enough proper bone to fuse until they took out that much.

Had he taken care of it right away....his legs would still be the same length....they would have at least been able to fuse it without taking out so much bone.

Laney

8. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Quote:Kate ignoring your bodies warning signs is only gonna make things worse. If you take care of your health the rest of the stuff can wait. And if you have to have surgery, I would seriously leave work and sit there next to you. Tell me when.

Thank you, that right there means so much to me!

9. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Quote:Yeah, that is along the lines of what she said about the swelling causing the plates to shift and needing to replace the steel plate on the left with a plastic one like we did on the right side.

10. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I'm still just flabbergasted over the price of the drugs!! I love my insurance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by