1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Thank You BYC people!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by painter chick, Oct 27, 2008.

1. painter chick

painter chick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    Leelanau county MI
    I haven't posted for quite awhile but on Sat. I butchered my first two chickens and I still can hardly believe all I have learned since June of this year when I first found this site.

I think this project would have been much harder to do without the great information I've gotten from the members of BYC. From getting those little fuzz butts to reading posts about dispatching my first 2 boys (13 more to go) all on my own, except for all of you! So Thank you all!!! and I'll keep reading and learning because I'm a confirmed chicken person now.

I must have had beginners luck because I ordered my 25 silver penciled rocks (straight run) and I received 27 chicks. I did have to dispatch one young roo but my "mystery" chick was a Black Minorca roo who has lived up to his name "Trouble" so I have 26 grown chickens, 10 hens and 15 SPR roosters and Trouble will stay around as long as he behaves himself.

[​IMG]g]

Some of our local farm friends were sure I would end up with a bunch of pets but when I butchered my first 2 this weekend I was very proud of myself and I know it's been with the help of BYC, plus I have also learned some very basic computer skills and hopefully I will now post some picts of my very pretty (and tasty) chickens. So thank you all, next year hopefully one of my hens will go broody so I'll keep reading!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sussexgal

sussexgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Woah... your birds are beautiful! Congrats on processing your first two also [​IMG] This site is wonderful. Folks are always happy to help and share their vast wealth of knowledge. It's like an old fashioned neighborhood on a grand scale.

3. painter chick

Jun 12, 2008
    Leelanau county MI
    Thank you sussexgal I appreciate the complement. Miss Prrissy Tufflodhen and dangerous chicken have all been so helpful raising my first flock. Hopefully they can now survive the Michigan winter which is showing up at this very moment, next year I really want to try some Partridge rocks but I think these chicks have turned out pretty well!

4. sussexgal

sussexgal Chillin' With My Peeps

If your Michigan winters are anything like our NY winters, your birds should be fine. In fact I think we are now getting the storm you were having! Predictions of up to 1 ft of snow. It's the bitter cold that causes the worries. Last year my mixed breeds did very well even in -20 cold. I put a red heat lamp in the coop to help them out a bit. Raising birds has been such a fun and rewarding experience.... and I would say your kids have turned out very well! [​IMG] Good luck with your partridge rocks next spring.

5. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    what breed of chicken is the one in the last photo? It looks just like my EE's, only with green legs of course.

6. painter chick

Jun 12, 2008
    Leelanau county MI
    All my chickens are silver penciled rocks except the black minorca roo (whos crowing his head off right now). The last photo is one of the hens who at this point are still friendly enough to jump on my lap if I sit down in the yard, I think they want to know when the rest of these boys will be gone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by