1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Thank you, BYCers, for preparing me for my first hawk attack!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Zonoma, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Zonoma

Zonoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky
    We had our first major predator attack today. Because of the threads I've read on this forum I had the proper first aid kit ready to use and the knowledge to know what to do without wasting time. Because of you guys I didn't freak out when I found a huge hawk on top of my favorite D'Uccle hen, Ginger. What's more- I think she's going to make it!

I was inside on BYC reading when I heard a chicken trying to come in the back door -which is very odd. My chickens don't care for the house at all and I'm okay with that. Anyway, I went out to check it out and found a big ole' hawk on top of a chicken. To my dismay, it was Ginger and the hawk seemed to already have a good grip on her. Luckily, it wasn't quite good enough because he left her there on the ground instead of taking her with him when I charged at him (in retrospect, I'm not real sure what I would have done against a 5 ft wingspan and razor sharp talons but the hawk thought I had something on him so I'm okay with that).

She was very still when I picked her up but opened her eyes and coo'ed at me. Then I saw the hawk feather clamped in her beak. [​IMG] She lost a lot of feathers and got a single puncture wound (not very deep) on the underneath side of her wing along with some scratches on her torso beneath the same wing. I brought her in, kept her warm (it was raining and cold), and cleaned the wound before applying BluKot as I didn't feel additional antibiotics were necessary. After that, I brought her BFF inside for a few hours. Now BFF is back in the coop and Ginger is talking to me quietly from her roost in the hospital cage (a smallish parrot cage I got on craigslist). She's pecking at food but refusing water. I'll give her til the morning before I start worrying, though.

2. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    Good job rescuing her, treating her, and having all of the supplies ready when you needed it. I hope she makes it, I am sure she will if it's just a small puncture wound. I am not an expert, but you should probably flush it with saline and be sure to put some antibiotic ointment on. I don't know much about blue coat, does it have antibiotics in it? But either way, be sure to wash it well, and frequently. The biggest problem with puncture wounds is infection.

3. Zonoma

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky
    The BluKot is a germicide and the puncture really wasn't deep at all. [​IMG]

4. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    It's prohibited to keep any bird of prey feathers. So I'd burn up those hawk feathers as it's the federal law to not keep feathers of any bird of prey.

5. Zonoma

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky
    Quote:I know. That's why I tossed it back into the yard with the feathers my hen lost. [​IMG] I just thought it was worth mentioning that my tiny bantam hen got a feather off a ginormous hawk (I think it was a northern harrier but don't hold me to it).

6. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    Wow! Good for you & good for Ginger! [​IMG] It's nice to hear this sometimes turns out all right [​IMG]

7. chic-a-deee

chic-a-deee Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I know. That's why I tossed it back into the yard with the feathers my hen lost. [​IMG] I just thought it was worth mentioning that my tiny bantam hen got a feather off a ginormous hawk (I think it was a northern harrier but don't hold me to it).

Yay little hen [​IMG]
    Isnt she great!!! Ive read a bit about preditor attacks here on BYC & all the chickens have been very frightened.
    (PS...I'd be wall mounting that feather as tribute to her bravery hehehe) [​IMG]

Do u think the hawk will be back for more now it knows the location of lunch?? If your chook run is small, you may be able
    to cover it???

8. Zonoma

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky

Yay little hen [​IMG]
    Isnt she great!!! Ive read a bit about preditor attacks here on BYC & all the chickens have been very frightened.
    (PS...I'd be wall mounting that feather as tribute to her bravery hehehe) [​IMG]

Do u think the hawk will be back for more now it knows the location of lunch?? If your chook run is small, you may be able
    to cover it???

I actually have a covered run (well, bird netting over the top) but have gotten complacent so they free range often. They're going to gripe at me all week when I keep them locked up for a week or two. Hopefully, it was migratory and just stopped by for some fast food (instead of a local) but we won't be free-ranging for a while, just in case.

9. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    I am so proud of you. You did great under pressure. You gave your girl every chance to make it when most would have been killed or injured. [​IMG]

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by