Thank you everyone on Incubating & Hatching Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Thunderboltt, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Thunderboltt

Thunderboltt Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2012
    This is my first time ever hatching and raising chickens. My mother had and old incubator brand new, A little giant (no instructions) for chickens but never used it (she was going to one of these days LOL). So the incubator was setting in my basement for years. I dug it out and read all I could about it. off this site Wow what a big help you all have been. I bought a flat of eggs from a local farmer that said the eggs were fetal $1. I placed the eggs in the incubator at 99.5 degrees filled the water wells full turned the eggs over twice a day. I waited 7 days and candled them, Wow to my surprise I saw heart beats in every egg. I waited another 7 days and candled again. There is movement in all eggs but one. I felt that wasn't to bad. I stooped tuning them on the 18th day and candled them one more time to my surprise there was movement in all the eggs. according to the form this is considered lock down don't touch them until they hatch and put a few more water trays in the bottom for extra humidity. So i had some little plastic lids that fit in the bottom of the incubator just perfect I filled 4 of them with water plus the well in the bottom of the indicator. Nothing on the 19day, 20th day at night 2 eggs had pip holes I was so exciting I slept on the coutch as not to miss the show. It is started early. And sure enough I hear load peeping coming from the kitchen at 1:00 am i jumped up and went to look one was hatched a little brown chick all wet and couldn't walk yet. Looking at the eggs i noticed 5 of them had pip holes now. I went and lay down again 5:00 am number 2 emerged I couldn't go back to sleep. by 8:30 am 6 had hatched. Number 7 showed up at 1pm on the 21st day. 4 to go all had pip marks but one. By 3:00pm all were hatched but that last egg with no pip marks. so i slid my hand in carefully and grab the egg to candle it. There was no movement and no sign that it had pushed though the air sack. So Praying that it was just having trouble i carefuly broke a small hole in the large end were the air sack is. with a flash light I looked in the small hole, I didn't see anything but a white membrane and no movement or sounds. So reluctantly broke the egg open there was the fully formed chick it evidently died on the 19th or 20th day. His yoke sake was still on the outside of his body. 10 out of 12 chick isn't to bad, thanks to all of the wonderful people on this form with there great advise.

Thanks again[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  2. DirtCreature

DirtCreature Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    awesome! [​IMG]

3. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

P.S.If you are ever interested, the LG incubating instructions are on line at the Miller Manufacturing website. Personally, I read the LG threads for additional information.

4. Thunderboltt

Apr 16, 2012
    Thank you I will go check that out i figured it was so old I know at least 23years old that there just wasn't any instruction for it lol

5. Thunderboltt

Apr 16, 2012
    I do have a question for you if you can answer. The first little chick that was hatched at 1:00 am seem to have trouble with one of his legs i thought it may clear up after awhile but he is still having trouble with it, he holds it up close to his body and won't put it down but still limps around with the other chickes. What can i do about it if anything?

Thanks in advance
    Thunder

6. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    THunder,

Put the question over on the diseases section for advice. Pics help convey the problem, if you can post pics. Here is something to read' it might provide some help.THis is the only resource I have; maybe someone can suggest another source.

. https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

I had a couple chicks that I did PT with. Mostly newly hatched, weak legs bilaterally. But maybe it could help yours too.

Slide hand under chick, palm up. two fingers between the legs, and 1 finger to the sides of the body to stabilize the upper body. Lift the chick up off the floor, enough to get feet off floor. THe legs should paddle like mad. I do this 3 times, rest for count of 15, and repeat 2 more times. Repeat 4-6 times a day, spread thruout the day, and by 3rd day, legs are strong.

Not knowing what is wrong with chick without a pic, this may not be the solution. At least have it in your arsenal.

7. Thunderboltt

Apr 16, 2012
    I think he maybe disformed or somthing but not sure. Here's a pic of the little chick [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  8. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Just saw there is a raising chicks section----great location to get better help and advice than I can give.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by