Thank you for the duckling advice

kliax

In the Brooder
Dec 5, 2018
My wife and I have been rescuing stray ducklings and pretty much all of the questions we have had have been answered on these forums.

We now have 4 ducklings from 3 different mothers, the oldest two are a week and a half old, the newest two are a few days old.

We are having to keep the little ones separate from the larger two as they constantly attack them. At what point should we attempt to introduce them with each other again.

Attachments

• New Bitmap Image.jpg
    New Bitmap Image.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 11

CrystaBub

Crowing
Mar 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley
:welcome:frowYou can put them in a 'see don't touch' position separated by pretty much anything with wire - since they're so young, it shouldn't take them very long to warm up to each other. Give them some time each day all together and pretty soon they should be like one big happy family. They are precious - what breed are they? So nice of you to rescue them - where were they?

kliax

In the Brooder
Dec 5, 2018
A week an a half and a few days is quite a bit of difference in size and disposition. lol
@CrystaBub gave great info on how to get them use to each other. I am curious too where is your wife rescuing them from? And bless ya'll for doing it.
The street has a dozen or so ducks that come up the street to beg for food. Its a long way from the creek they return to each day. Of the 6 mother ducks only one has had any surviving ducklings and she stayed away from the street till they could keep up.
All the other ducklings couldn't keep up and slowly vanished, we have found a total of 5 live ducklings, two did well for a few hours then stopped eating and didn't make it. They weren't in the best condition when we found them. The other 3 seem to be doing well so far.

kliax

In the Brooder
Dec 5, 2018
Aww are you going to keep them? Or release them once they are fully feathered? Awfully sweet of y’all to help.
We are renting and are not allowed to have pets. The advice we received from the SPCA in New Zealand was to let them go once they are fully feathered.
I don't want to add to the street ducks, we have a few lakes locally. I am planning on letting them go on a lake where people can't go duck shooting.

Top Bottom