Thank you, Jesus!!!

Sunny Side Up

Count your many blessings...
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
Loxahatchee, Florida
celebrate.gif
I want to thank Jesus for keeping my flock safe this evening, want to thank Him out loud right here.

Now my boys & I pray for our flock every night after we close them up in their houses. We know that it's prayer, not a magic charm, and that sometimes Stuff Still Happens, because we live in an imperfect world. But we figure things would only be worse if we didn't take time to thank God for our beautiful birds each night, and ask Him for protection.

We had a lot of losses this summer to a bobcat & to some big feral cats until we learned to discipline our days and be certain to go out an hour before sunset to begin the chicken chores, getting everyone secured by nightfall (those cats were coming as sundown). We also trapped the bobcat & the feral cats. Even though the threat seems to be gone now, we continue to order our time so we're not away from home at sunset.

But today we went to a dear friend's funeral that was in a town 2 hours away. I had intended to leave at 4 so we'd be home by 6. But other things happened so that we didn't leave until 8. It was a really special time with other dear old friends, time well spent renewing old bonds. But I was feeling a lot of apprehension about the safety of my flock back home. And no, there wasn't anyone I could call that could come put the birds away for me.

You see, 2 nights ago I lost some young meat chickens to what must be raccoons. So last night I surrounded that pen with Hav-a-Hart traps, baited with stinky canned salmon. Nothing was caught this morning, so I just closed the traps (to keep chickens, ducks & bunnies from getting stuck in them). And tonight all I could think of is all that fragrant bait in the closed traps attracting the raccoons back, but there wouldn't be any traps open for them, so they'd attack the ducks that free-range all day and sit on the ground in the paddock if they're not shooed into their pens at night. (This has happened in the past)

So I was in a panic driving up the expressway on my way home, and was praying & praying. Please Lord, protect my flock!!! After about a 45 minutes I began to feel a peace about it. I couldn't be sure, but I felt that God was saying that they would be all right. And sure enough, when I got home (I just parked the van and ran out back in the moonlight) they were indeed all just fine!!! Not one was lost!!!

It's okay if you believe they remained safe for any other reason. But I firmly believe that tonight it was the Hand of Jesus that protected my ducks, geese, & chickens from those raccoons. This is written to give Him the thanks & praise & credit for it.

I'll believe it, I had a lot of losses this year and don't believe they would of stopped. But you know, it's a funny thing.. After all those losses, and just letting it go, one night (I may of been praying at the time) a memory just came to me, about hearing a sermon about how God cares about the little things. And even, wants us to give them to him.. I prayed that he'd keep the birds safe, and I don't worry about it. Not lost a one, actually, say what you want.. But I believe that I'll have an excellent year this year with hatching. Since I started praying, wanna know something funny? After losing almost all of my birds from say 20-30 down to about 10 (predators, heat, random things) I have just been given 14 birds, and neither cases were because I lost birds and people tried to replace them either. I was just given them.

A scripture you could probably back up that God wants even the littlest things.. Doesn't he say we should become like little children? Are they not dependent upon their parents, even in the smallest of things of taking care of pets or other things like that?
-Daniel

Last edited:
"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows. " ~ Matthew 10:29-31

It's so awesome to realize that God has all of Creation, including us, in His hands.
smile.png
He knows and sees everything, even the little things. One of the last times it snowed, I remember looking at the snow and realizing that even though no two snowflakes are alike, God knows the shape of every one! It was kind of a "WOW" moment.

Also, Sunny Side Up, I think it's also important to tell your kids that even if God doesn't answer our prayers the way we'd like, it's still for our good. "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose." ~ Romans 8:28

Don't stop praying!
big_smile.png

I agree with all of you. I pray for my family and friends of course. But I also pray for my dogs, cats, goats and chickens. I thought I was the only one. I even asked out pastor to pray for my eggs in the incubator. Everyone looks at me weird when I tell them this. But I know prayer works. I don't worry myself sick anymore. After I lost 12 hens in 1 night to a stray dog, I worried everynight. Not sleeping. Then I started praying for them. I know things will and can still happen but know I leave it in God's hands. Amen.
thumbsup.gif

Prayer certainly works....It's easy to believe that God has all things under control. What's not easy is not offering Him advice on how to handle things.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom