1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Thank you 'SpeckledHen'..humidity question answered for an idiot!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dwegg, Nov 28, 2010.

1. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

I am getting eggs to hatch and it is my VERY first time. I went and bought a digital thermometer/hygrometer AcuRite from Lowes with the sensor thingy. Anyway....I set up the bator to run and play with it to see if I could do it all right before the eggs came. The temp in the Hovabator is perfect at 100F but I just couldn't get the humidity up?????? I was paniced and kept filling the trays and nothing moved?
    So I researched [​IMG] and came across an old post where 'SpeckledHen' said that you have to have the whole device in the bator for it read the humidity and not just the sensor as the sensor does not read the humidity...BINGO!

I put the whole device in and MAGIC [​IMG] the humidity is now perfect...THANK YOU, THANK YOU...SpeckledHen! You are a lifesaver! THANK YOU! [​IMG]

Thought I would post this for any other newbies out there...

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Don't feel bad, you would not believe how many people have that issue on here every year.

3. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    Your not an idiot....just learning
    There is not room to list all of my opp's hatching this year while learning.[​IMG]
    Killed my whole first batch because I did not calibrate my new hydrometer.grrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Guilt, guilt , guilt

4. muddstopper

muddstopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Murphy NC
    I have always found the wire the temp sensor is mounted on to be to long. That is a good thing because with a little soldering skills, you can cut the wire in half, resolder the temp sensor and use the remaining lenght of wire to remount the humidity sensor from the inside of the Accurite so that it is mounted on a wire, to be placed inside the bator along with the temp sensor. I actually have one accurite rewired that has both the internal temp sensor and internal humidity sensor wire mounted along with the factory external temp sensor. This allows me to use one thermometer to monitor 2 different locations inside the incubator at the same time.

5. dwegg

ummm...wow I don't think I want to be messing with that! but I have managed to get it all working great...and I also discovered that you should fill the trays with warm or hot water otherwise the temp. goes down and the humidity takes ages to move up....is this correct?

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You're welcome! It's a common mistake, so don't feel bad. [​IMG]

ETA: just noticed you are in the Grant Park area of Atlanta! Never really thought about anyone having chickens there for some reason, though I know they are legal in Atlanta.

7. dwegg

but honestly SpeckledHen I was SO paniced and I don't even think I would have figured this out by myself....you DID save my chickies-to-be lives! [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

Well, I'm glad I helped. I know how frustrating it is when you can't figure something out and little lives are at stake!

9. WVchick71

WVchick71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Small Town
    I have read various ranges of humidity for hatching. What is the Ideal humidity?

10. speckledhen

From Day One to Day Eighteen, I keep mine between 35-50%. Then I raise it to between 65-70% for the last three days. It's harder to get it up higher if it's in winter, being more dry like it usually is. Much easier in summer, but I'm always hatching in late winter.

Accurate temperature is more important than humidity, which can vary a lot and still be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by