1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by roxie03, Apr 4, 2009.

1. roxie03

roxie03 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    For the last 3 years I have hatched chick eggs in my First Grade classroom. I would usually put in about 32 eggs and prayed for 12 to hatch. This year I spent considerable time on the BYC message board taking advantage of all the experience here. I am proud to say that out of 24 eggs this year, my class hatched 21. I know that is not as successful as many of you experts, but we are excited. I really appreciate all the advice here. I think it really helped.

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    That's great!, might be harder to find homes for more chickies! Hope the kids enjoyed it and learned a lot.

3. l'uccello

l'uccello Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2009
    S.F. Bay Area
    Great to hear! Congratulations to you and the kids.

4. I'vegotchickenfever

I'vegotchickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    out of 24 eggs this year, my class hatched 21. I know that is not as successful as many of you experts

That's a GREAT hatch...you should be proud! [​IMG]

5. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Good deal. 21 out of 24 is pretty good! Way to go! [​IMG]

6. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    I think this is a great idea for class rooms. And 21 out of 24? That sounds like a great hatch rate to me!!

7. roxie03

roxie03 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    It really is a good learning experience. We spend the 21 days learning all about the parts of the egg and the development each day. They love to see the chick move when we candle. I would recommend it to any teacher. Next we are moving on to ducks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by