Thank you to all who talked about the dropping boards!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Amethyste, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

My poor hubby [​IMG] The only sunny day we are supposed to have over the holiday weekend...and he was out in the back garden yesterday slaving over the birdies [​IMG]

We <read HE...I supervised > put up a dropping board covered in vinyl under the roosts...took out the old dropping area, redid the rain shield on the exterior nesting box, AND redid the outside run for poor birdies so they had better drainage. I also got a bag of Stall dry to sprinkle over the dropping board to help with drying it out and keeping the smell down. We dusted off all the ventilation screens and windows to make sure non were blocked as well...my goodness they are dusty critters!

They were NOT too enthused about the change in the run...but apparently it was better than staying inside and watching the scary looking chicken beating up on the roosts lol

They used the roosts last night and omg what a diff in cleanup! I am so happy [​IMG] Now I won't have to worry about them playing in their tremendous amts of poop this winter when they are mostly inside on the roosts.

ATM it is pouring down raid, and they have a CLEAN sleeping area and a full container of chick grower. The nesting box is dry and comfy. And of course, the featherheads are playing in the pouring rain. Morons lol

Life is good [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  2. yellowchickensmomma

yellowchickensmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Dropping boards make a huge difference. [​IMG]

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I'm so glad that it worked out for you. Tell your hubby the BYCers think he's a good guy for helping with the chickens! [​IMG] I'm sure your chickens appreciate the changes!! It's great to have a place to go to for ideas, isn't it??? [​IMG]

4. JestersEye

JestersEye Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Mullica Twp., NJ
    Could you post some pictures of the dropping board? I was wondering about doing this in our coop, but wasn't sure how to go about it... how large as compared with the roosts, etc. Thanks for sharing! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by