Thank You to My Girls

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickeepoo, Jun 22, 2008.

1. chickeepoo

chickeepoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Since I was trying to go organic in the garden, and the caterpillars decided to move in for a free meal, I've been pulling the buggers off my plants and calling my 4 hens over to have a treat. My girls come right away when I call, and revenge on the destructive caterpillars was never better. I did take back my tomatoes and peppers, even though they got my squash… and my girls think I'm the best!

2. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    I'm sure your girls loved helping in the garden!

3. donnap1967

donnap1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    Are there caterpillars that are poisonous for the chickens? There are loads of them outside right now. [​IMG]

4. chickeepoo

chickeepoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I don't know… these caterpillars were the striped ones that move like inch worms and devour the leaves and fruit on the tomatoes, etc., and bright green ones in the squash that finished those off and tried to move in on the lettuce. The hens have been fine, but it would be good to know if there are any that could make them sick. If they don't like the taste of a bug, they wipe their beaks on the ground and move on.

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Mine eat squished slugs & earwigs.

Gotta love that organic bug control.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by