Thank you to Natalie Ross and the person who posted her "Wound Care" thread

chickencrazy888

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 6, 2012
I just want to say a BIG Thank you to Natalie Ross and all the experienced chicken owners who have posted information about taking care of chickens who have wounds. You just might have saved my brave buff Orp. roo. We've been proud owners of chickens for 7 months without any hitches until now.
A big black German Shepherd who would give the coyotes out here a run for their money attacked our flock 3 weeks ago. This dog came from no where. We live in the boonies with our nearest neighbor living 5 football fields away. We found out later this dog lived up the other road in our small town over 4 miles away, and it was not his first offense. Other neighbors had their chickens attacked by this dog. One neighbor in particular lost over 10 hens the same day our flock was attacked. Lucky for us ( and our hens) our brave buff orpington roo saved our flock and he was the only one injured. This is why we our trying to save him. We figure any roo who does his duty to protect the flock deserves a chance to survive.
He has a much larger wound than I originally thought, but it's been three weeks and so far so good. He just may make it yet, so thank you so much for the wound care advice given in certain threads. Because of you our roo may make it. Thank you.

I'm so glad to hear your roo is doing so well and that BYC helped you so much! Best of luck with him and let us know how he does.

x3!
thumbsup.gif

Well, it's been awhile, but I thought I'd let you all know that he made it. He's back to normal. He moved in with the flock back in February. He had some senority fighting to do with our top roo, but after that they still get along. He moved down in rankings the first couple months, but he is back to being number two roo. He had to make a deal with the guineas for awhile. lol A couple months later we moved him in his own coop and gave him his own BO hens, and now he is flourishing. He still hops with a limp every now and then and will never be back to full complete recovery the way he was before the attack, but he walks, runs and is hard to catch again. He can still mount his girls. He is also still fertile. We have hatched 6 chicks from his girls, and I gotta say the little buggers are CUTE!!! I just love him. I'll try to post pics of him after the attack and how he looks now sometime if you can handle his wound pics. Thanks for your replies and concern.

Yeah, well he was still around as of April. He came back again, but this time my hubby and kids were all outside and my guineas chased the dog away. Unfortunately he is probably still around. We do have permission to "take care" of him by our county's dog shelter though.

Back
Top Bottom