Thank you to the experts! (bumblefoot)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by USAmma, Dec 21, 2013.

1. USAmma

USAmma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I am newish to quail raising and noticed tonight that one of mine has a huge severe case of bumblefoot (was able to identify thanks to this forum and some google searching). Without intervention she will probably die because it was so, so huge. She already was limping. I have 17 quail and 2 kids and thus I missed it until tonight. Regular foot inspections after this . . .

Anyway after mustering up the courage and seeing several threads with photos and descriptions I went to the drug store and got the supplies and performed the task. I'm a nurse and this was still challenging for me. The quail handled it better than I expected. It took a good 45 minutes to remove all the bits and pieces of the core and I'm still not sure I got it all but I didn't see anymore after more soaking and blotting and digging. It was extremely deep and I could not see to the bottom of the hole and just squeezed and got more out. It came out mostly in small chunks with one big chunk at the end. I really was feeling faint, it was really disgusting to keep getting those chunks out. Never imagined such a thing! I mean I have dressed stage IV sacral wounds and this one was about in the same category. I continued, knowing I was probably giving her a chance at a better life if she survives this. Afterwards I wrapped it up good with gauze and some duct tape and put her back with her friends. In addition to the antibiotic ointment and betadine, I did a betadine/sugar poultice before wrapping it up with her two front toes sticking out for balance, but the rest of the foot covered up. I am quite pleased with myself.

I noticed her other foot has a small callous on it where a bumblefoot infection could form, but it was not swollen or deep so I left it alone. I need to give her one good foot to walk on. I will deal with that foot if she lives long enough to let her bad foot heal.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    USAmma, you did well working on quail! Their feet are so tiny and many times just TOO small to work on.

As for them getting bumblefoot, many times with quail, bumblefoot occurs when they are standing on wire too long or the wire floor gets too gunked up with poop.

Always offer them a place to get off the wire, such as a piece of plywood in the corner or even their dusting pan can offer them a place for relief. Make sure the pan is large enough. Constantly standing on wire wears the pads down and bruises them. You can also use areas of grass hay in their pen as well. Even a box full of dirt, sand or more grass hay. You just don't want them standing all day long on hard wire.

Poop that builds up on wire turns hard and will also damage the pads. So make sure to keep it clean.

But I think you did fantastic to do bumblefoot surgery on such tiny pads! As for the one you did the surgery on, will need to be kept on something soft for a while. You might want to use bedding for a while in the entire pen, or keep this one separated on a towel or bedding. You do not have to keep quail on wire. I keep my quail in large aviaries and some of them in large rabbit hutches. I cover the floor of the wire hutches with grass hay. They enjoy snuggling down deep into the hay in the winter and love to make nests out of the hay during breeding season.

Great Job!

3. USAmma

Jul 26, 2009
    Thanks so much for your encouragement! :) I have them on wire because it's way easier to clean, but I also have three next boxes filled with sawdust for them to go and lay eggs and hang out. In addition they walk up the ramp on the modified chicken coop and the whole upper level is sawdust covered. I think I have the best of both worlds, as they seem to poo mostly outside the boxes. They seem happy.

The "patient" is still alive today and seems well. I have her foot padded up and taped up and she's limping around but I saw her eating and she was also in and out of the boxes.

I am going to start a new thread because when inspecting their feet I found two quail with something else going on. The rest have beautiful feet thank goodness!

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  5. USAmma

Jul 26, 2009
    Will do, thanks! :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by