Thank you

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MrsMopar, Mar 9, 2017.

1. MrsMopar

MrsMopar Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2017
    I appreciate your allowing me to join.

I lurked here quite a bit before biting the bullet and becoming a new chicken mom. I started with 26 chicks from McMurray a little over a week ago. I lost 2 chicks in the first 48 hours, and 1 chick a few days later. The third chick is a story for another day. I have one in isolation today - and that's a story I'm here to get advice on. But I'll post my questions elsewhere.

I'm using an xl wire dog crate for my brooder. I lined the bottom with A LOT of layers of newspaper. (Actually, I bought the end rolls of blank newsprint from our local paper and I'm using them - no messy ink!) For the first couple of days I had shelf liner on top of the newsprint. When I cleaned the brooder for the first time, I removed the shelf liner along with a couple of layers of paper. I then replaced the liner with pine shavings. I have approx 18" of cardboard zip-tied along the bottom edges to keep some of the mess inside. And I've added a long board on which I've placed 2 qt feeders and 2 qt waterers.

For the first feed, I added chick grow (or whatever they call the goo they send with their chicks), and put sugar in the first water. Now I'm feeding chick starter and I'm putting a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in the water. For the past few days I've add a mid-afternoon snack of hard boiled or scrambled egg - every other day I add a wee dab of plain yogurt.

I'm having a blast and my chicks are getting huge!
    julie from Missouri
    1st time chicken mom

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Julie, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our flock! First time chickens are a blast! You might want to check out the great articles of the Learning Center here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center You will have the answer to almost every chicken question or have or will have. And if you 'd like to chat with some fellow Show Me State poultry folks, find The MO thread here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread
    Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!

3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Julie [​IMG] Welcome!

I am so very sorry to hear of your losses [​IMG]

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  5. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hi Julie, thanks for joining us! What breed(s) of chicks did you get from MM? I've had chicks from them in the past and did well with them.

6. MrsMopar

Mar 9, 2017
    I got 15 frying pan specials and 10 (11 with their free bird) different breeds of hens. I set down with the catalog and chose 10 random ones that looked nice and were cold hearty. So, I call my little flock: Rainbow Brite. [​IMG].

7. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I'm a fan of mixed flocks myself. Enjoy!

8. MrsMopar

Mar 9, 2017
    Thank you for the warm welcome!

No chicks in isolation this morning. Everyone looks healthy. I've got 2 small birds I'm keeping an eye on, but they are eating and drinking, and their eyes are bright. I'm hoping for a drama-free Friday! This weekend I'll start putting together a second brooder so I can separate the bigger more aggressive birds.

9. micah wotring

micah wotring Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2015
    WV boy here!
    Welcome to BYC! This is THE place to be for anything and everything poultry related...
    Whether you're looking for help, info, insight, poultry breeders, ideas, or just friends, you've come to the right place!

Anyway, great to have ya here!

Make it a great day!

[​IMG]
    ~MW

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]Mrs.Mopar, nice to meet you. A second brooder is a great idea. Glad you joined us at Backyard chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by