Thank You!

Lostbody

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 21, 2010
Oakland, CA
Happy 2011 Everybody!

I'm not the most tech-savvy BYC member, and I'll be the first to admit that I don't much know what I'm doing with this whole "urban farming" thing; but I've so enjoyed this site and all of the informative threads, especially "what NOT to do when building your coop," that I wanted to formally state to the community at large: THANK YOU, THANK YOU ALL.

When I first joined BYC, I was encouraged to post pictures of our progress. Well, now that I have a camera, I gladly will try.

The folowing photos are of the work that DH, my neighbors, and I did during the week between Christmas and New Year. Take that, Sen. Jon Kyl! We regular Americans can work a 40 hour week AND build a coop without "disrespecting the institution."

Tearing down the old coop...

68229_old_digs6.jpg

Rigging up the new...

68229_dhtoys1.jpg

68229_new_digsmingus1.jpg

Happy chickens... and just in time before the frosts come.

68229_ladies_new_digs4.jpg

68229_ladies_new_digs6.jpg

Sadly, some of our girls are actually boys, whick means we'll have to give them up for adoption (darn city regulations).

Thinking about hanging onto one long enough for a cross-breeding experiment. Any forseeable problems with mixing this fella with a Barred Rock?

68229_mavisclose-up.jpg

Welcome.... No problems crossing to a barred rock.. I have two barred rock hens with polish top hats.. Not completely, but it gives the same effect. They are just regular barred feathers stickin up..

Thanks, everybody.
I'm so glad got myself into this.
Any advice on how to find homes for girls that have turned out to be roos?
I've three boys, age 5 months, that I am not allowed to keep, and must adopt out.
hit.gif

Welcome! Nice work on the coop!
welcome-byc.gif

Wish I could help you on the rooster rehoming. A friend of ours ran into a similar situation (cockerels instead of pullets). He went ahead and had them processed for meat---don't know how you feel about that. I haven't crossed THAT bridge yet.
sickbyc.gif
He said he couldn't bring himself to do it himself, so had some friends butcher. At least he knew that they had been raised humanely and what exactly had gone into them (no hormones, etc, etc.). Just a thought if you can't find homes.

Back
Top Bottom