1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.
  1. barbiegirl

barbiegirl Songster

Feb 23, 2012
    The Poconos Pa
    I want to thank everyone for all their helpful information on wry neck. A few months ago I learned the hard way about wry neck. My little silkie had it and I thought she was a gonner. She would walk around with her head between her legs. I thought she must be retarded. She would do this for a few days and then be ok. This happened since we got her.

One day, we were having bad rain storms, I found her laying face down in a puddle barely breathing and not moving. I brought her in, wrapped her in a towel and put her in my tub. Thought she would die over night. That night I tried to find out what was wrong with her and if there was any hope in saving her or if I should put her out of misery. I found out that she needed vitamin E and selerium and baby poly-vits. In the morning she was barely alive but alive so I went to the store and bought all the vitamins I needed and some greek yogurt to try to feed her.

She was so weak but managed to get some vitamins into her and some yogurt. It took about 2 weeks before she could hold her head up to eat by herself. She didn't give up and I didn't give up on her. Today she is alive and doing great and is back with her flock! I am so greatful for everyone's advice and helpful stories. Thank you all again!

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I'm so happy your bird is better! I've had two cases of wry neck this past month and one case is completely. healed! The other is still under treatment but is 95% cured! Thank God! I used Alan Stanford's treatment for wry neck. His treatment consists of vitamin E capsules selenium polyvisol liquid children's vitamins without iron vitamin B and predinsone. Both my birds were cured in around three weeks. This treatment was wonderful and very successful! I had two very severe cases. First cases had her head between her legs and couldn't walk. and was doing flips. Second case had her head bent down and was shaking like a Parkinson's patient. She also was doing flips and couldn't walk. Thanks to this treatment they are both back to normal.! Second case still has a very slight crick but is 95% and still under treatment. First case is 100% ! I really believe in this treatment as it cured both my severe cases! I just wanted to share my success story with you and also hope it may help some one else dealing with wry neck too! Wry neck can be cured with treatment and a little patience.! I'm really happy your birds and my birds are now better! Its very difficult to see them in that condition! But for others out there dealing with it please know there is hope. Thank you for letting me share my story. Also does for this treatment and exact schedules can be found by going to the website browneggblueegg.com and go to the glossery on the left and click on crook neck. There you will find this treatment with Exact dosing and a schedule for it. On the website he speaks of silkies however this wry neck treatment will work on any wry neck bird. Alan Stanford's treatment for wry neck has been very successful for me and both my birds. Again thank you for listening to my story
    God bless

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: