Thanks a lot, DH is going to disown me....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by flspnr, Oct 8, 2011.

1. flspnr

flspnr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Gibsonton, FL
    Yesterday, we went to the feed store, and they had RIR and BR chicks! Well, one BR. I begged and pleaded, and DH said no, so we left. [​IMG] Finally, after bugging him til 2 in the morning, explaining all the benefits, no cons, I already had everything I needed, etc. he gave in!

This morning, I got up at 8:30 and drove to the feed store. Cops blocked the way. [​IMG] [​IMG] Something was going on across the street from the feed store (fire trucks and everything!) I tried to park and walk to the store, but a cop stopped me. I told her I needed to get chicks, but she said there was a gas leak across the street from the feed store so no one was alowed down the street for their safety and to try back in an hour. I went to my inlaw's house up the street to wait and after 40 minutes of me asking my MIL if it had been an hour yet (she loves me, I know cuz she puts up with so much!!) she got dressed and said "Let's go."

The road block was down! [​IMG] Talked to the guy at the feed store, and apparently a cop drove by and noticed the *steam* coming from the top of the factory and called it in as a possible gas leak....the *steam* comes out of the factory 24/7....There was *nothing* wrong! Anyways, I digress.

I got 3 baby chickens!!!! I got 2 RIR and one BR!! Woohoo! [​IMG] We're going to add on to the existing coop when they're big enough to go outside.

So, anyone know any good chicken math so DH won't disown me? [​IMG] The other 3 I have are banties, and these are not.

Oh, and I successfully raised one pair of chickens from about a week old, and these are about a week old, is there anything different or special I need to do??

So, Thanks a lot, I know have 3 more chickens!! [​IMG]

Oh yeah, adding a pic: This is them as soon as I got them, in the box I used to get them home:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  2. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Loved your story! They mostly need warmth, medicated chick feed and water. A light bulb works fine. They need to be able to get away from it if too hot. There's more detailed info by doing a search on a particular thing. On the chicken math and DH... I'm still working on that one! [​IMG]

3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Where I am, you are required to buy at least 6 chicks at a time. Some law. You can modify the story as needed....

4. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Also isn't it a health requirement that you have at least three for their own good? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Quote:

5. flspnr

Sep 23, 2011
    Gibsonton, FL
    I think I got the chicken math, genome know if it's right:

I've got 3 bantams, so that's one and a half chickens.

I got 3 chicks today, but they're babies in a brooder, so they don't count.

You need at least 2 chickens to have happy chickens.

So, I need another bantam.

But, you really should introduce even numbers of chickens, so I need 3 more bantams.

So, the cute fluffy things don't count and I need 3 more. Right?

6. Americana

Americana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Dunnellon, Florida
    LOL! I love your chicken math. As far as I'm concerned.. The more the merrier [​IMG]

7. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    ha-ha, we just got our first 5 chicks 2 weeks ago, Hubby has been working round the clock building the coop- when he made me a bigger brooder, he said very nicely "save this, I am sure you'll want to get more some time soon" [​IMG]

8. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. motochick

motochick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    So most hatcheries only ship groups of 25, so by buying only 3 your not getting another 22! By not getting those 22, that means there's plently of room for only 3, and since the others you have are only bantams, then you still are only really feeding 4 and a half.

hahaha [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  10. flspnr

Sep 23, 2011
    Gibsonton, FL
    Thanks! I'm sure that math will come in handy in a few months when we're feeding them a zillion pounds of feed a month! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by