THANKS, ALL! re. Weird--A horse we got yesterday dead of heart attack

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by SpeckledHills, Jul 5, 2008.

1. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    I'm a bit numb with shock right now. Through a friend of a friend's business acquaintance & a short chain of other people, we got notice 2 days ago that someone 3 hours of here had 2 good horses to give away free fast.
    Normally I'd be a bit hesitant, but we train horses, & timing, etc. seemed to fit in with getting some for a couple who are coming back from a mission next month and were wanting us to look for 1 or 2 horses for them.
    I won't go into the details, but it appears the gelding that died was older and the stress of all the travel and changes got to him and he died of a heart attack.
    I understand much of the causes behind his death, and that they are quite normal.
    I know there is such a surplus of horses right now because horse slaughter has kept getting outlawed or extremely restricted for the last few years.
    I know free horses are often old, lame, sick, or dangerous horses.
    I know this horse might not have turned out to be a right horse for our clients.
    Etc., etc.
    I am just shocked to have a dead horse lying in our back driveway the day after we got him. I thought we could trust this time and it would be a good thing. I feel like maybe we were 'had' although the circumstances surrounding getting the horses seemed genuine. And I am sad for the horse (who we'd named Chip. He came without a name). I wish I'd given him more lovin' the last few minutes I saw him alive. I wish the horses in the pasture I'd last led him past had whinnied a 'Hello' to him instead of run off in fear when they heard the hoarse whinney he gave as he walked up the drive. Could they tell he was about to die and that scared them? I don't know.
    But I am shocked, and I want to cry a little.
    Bye.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Sunrise, sunset... you never know what's going to happen before the end of the next day.

Sorry for your loss..

3. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Mahonri,
    I thought kind of that we were led to getting them. And maybe we were. I just don't see the big picture yet.
    Thank you for your condolence.

4. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    I'm sorry you had to go through that. A sudden death like that is such a shock, whether it was a horse you knew well or not. You can take comfort that it was a quick death, when they suffer through injury or illness I personally have a much harder time.

Hugs to you [​IMG]

5. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    That so sad, I'm so sorry that happened. I'm sure he had a good life. Thats one thing that bothered me about the no slaughter of horses in the US now, I don't want to start a arguement, but where do all the slurplus horses go?? Some find their way to people like you, some will find their way to horaders where they are mistreated and neglected and alot are coming here to Canada and be slaughtered here. I watched a show on CBC the other day about this, it shows how they get them across the border and such. I am for slaughter, just like we do with other livestock, and also believe people should think before they breed their horses, to try and avoid all this.

Just remember you tried to do the best thing for the guy and should be proud of yourself for doing it.

6. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Sorry to hear that. What a shock. It is hard when any animal dies all of a sudden.

7. FLchook

FLchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    Oh no! So sorry to hear about your loss. The poor baby. I was surpised how well our 2 took the change since they were 24 and 25. I think what helped was that they moved together and have been together for nearly 18 years. I think if we tried to separate them they would have suffered the same fate.

Hugs to you and your family! [​IMG]

8. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    [​IMG]

9. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Oh I am soooooo very sorry. I'd be in shock too. 2 weeks ago I got a rabbit that died the same day I got it from heatstroke and I was heartbroken, I know I'd be worse if it was a horse.

Is it possible he was much older than you were led to believe?

10. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Wow. What a day you had. [​IMG] That is too bad. At least you know he died comfortably, in a nice place, and not out in some dirt pen, crammed full of other horses. I wonder if they had medical conditions that weren't disclosed. I mean, there could be a million things wrong with a free horse. It's hard enough to get a straight story on a horse you are paying through the nose for, you know? I'm just glad that you got him, and he didn't end up at the auction or on the way to Mexico for dog food! That would have been horrible.

You did the best you could and you shouldn't beat yourself up over it. I would have the other horse thoroughly vetted, though...ASAP! Just to make sure the other one is A-OK. [​IMG]

It was really nice of you to take them in, and you did the best you could. Sounds like there was nothing you could have done to prevent it, so please don't feel like it was your fault. It happens. Unfortunately, it happened to you. And go ahead and cry, I'd cry too! [​IMG]

Good luck with the other one! [​IMG] Had they been together long?

Shelly

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by