THanks alot to all who are incubating.....I GOT MY EGGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by karri25, Nov 14, 2007.

1. karri25

karri25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2007
    Arkansas
    Now I have ordered some eggs and can't wait. I wasn't going to hatch anymore out until next year but I don't have any babies and everyone else does:-( I COULDN"T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!!!!! I have 6-8 blue silkies on their way. I am also going to throw in some of my sex links so that my freind can have some good layers. So pretty soon I will get to brag about my babies!!!!!

P.s. can you tell if they are fertil by candling? Most of mine end up fertile I was just wondering if there was a way to increase my chances.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    You can't tell if they are fertile by candling before you put them in the bator.

You can only see it after a few days of incubation to see if there is veining or not. Give it until at least day 5 for light colored eggs, day 7-10 for darker eggs.

3. karri25

Feb 5, 2007
    Arkansas
    THanks for the info. That's a bummer but almost all of the eggs that I eat end up being fertilized so I'm looking at some good chances. My son sells his egg sthough so he doesn't want me to "waste" too many:)

4. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Now Karri, there's no use in blaming everybody else for your addiction! That will only make it worse!! Many of us have tried that approach and look at us now, a bunch of hopelessly addicted hatchaholics with chicks and chickens running out our ears!!! Welcome to the club![​IMG]

5. karri25

Feb 5, 2007
    Arkansas
    Oh yes, I believe that I am a member of "thta club!" We started, in a residential neighborhood, with 16 4-h sex links. Now we have two blue silkie roos, one Mille roo with two hens, two frizzle roos, the original girls with their roo, and a banty roo that we LOVE! WE also had 2 turkeys and we are waiting new silkie eggs!!!!! Also in May we will be adding 30 more 4-h sex links! My coop is not THAT big. WE can't let ours free range in our back yard b/c we have no fence. Needless to say my husband is exasperated:-:mad:
    He has told me, now that he knows about all of the eggs I will be hatching, that I need to plan out my dream coop so that he can build it once and for all. Oh I forgot that I'm also getting my son some black tailed white japanese eggs too:D

If I can't blame y'all than my husband has only me to blame and we can't have that:D

6. karri25

Feb 5, 2007
    Arkansas
    I just got my eggs and I can't even wait to put them in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will wait of course but I just can't even wait:D[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

One was broken but she sent 7 so it is all good. Did I mention I can't wait!

Last time I used a homemade incubator but this time I'm going to go buy a little giant since I will be adding some of my eggs also. There won't be enough room in the one we made. Plus I'm hopng that my hatch rate increases with the LG.OK, you know I'll keep everyone posted:)

7. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Too fun!!! How many of yours are you going to put in with your 6 silkies?

8. karri25

Feb 5, 2007
    Arkansas
    I'm only going to put in 8-10. I've never hatche out my own before b/c they were too young. I can't wait, I iwll be so proud of them!!!!

9. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    welcome to the sick addiction that is hatching...i am up to my ears in chickens...i wanted 6 for eggs for the family at the beginning...ended up with 10 to start with, followed by 15 more and 5 ducks, then another 16 including another duck, i just hatched 5 of our mutt mutt birds and have 14 ameraucanas and blue orps in the bator...help me! Oh and next spring im having a go at the araucanas that jody has they are just too awesome not to!

10. karri25

Feb 5, 2007
    Arkansas
    Man I want some blue orps sooooo bad!!!!!! I am going to have to wait until my hubby and I build on to our coop though. Hopefully next spring I can get some of Suede's babies:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by