Thanks Aunt Millie, the chickens loved your fruitcake

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by alaskachick, Dec 26, 2010.

1. alaskachick

alaskachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Wasilla, Alaska
    This is the first Christmas for my chickens and I finally found takers for the fruitcakes [​IMG] I receive every year. The chickens ate it all gone before I even had a chance to leave the coop. Wish they could have chocolate cuz I have 4 trays of cookies, fudge, bars etc that I want gone. I do have a question here.... Can chickens eat white chocolate or is that off limits too?

2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

I like my chickens... I'd never feed them fruitcake! I might however use fruitcakes as steps for the chickens to get in the coop or use them to prop open the door. [​IMG]

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]..........[​IMG]

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    alaska chick I don't thin white chocolate would be good for their teeth [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  5. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    [​IMG]

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Don't give them much sugar at once, it's not really very good for them. I wouldn't dare try the chocolate, either.

However - I happen to LOVE fruitcake and chocolate and will gladly accept any rejects. (if they're still fresh) [​IMG]

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    White chocolate is not pure chocolate at its form. good idea to monitor the intake of sweets by spreading it out in a week's time.

Well, my hubby and dd gave the chickens stale milk chocolate candies a couple years ago and I was upset about it for 24 hours. Well, they were fine and they did have chocolate chips in the slop bucket of breads, rice and goodies and they were fine. Seasonal isn't going to hurt them but if you have a habit of feeding them chocolate, not a good idea.

8. krazeepolack

krazeepolack Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] I haven't even SEEN a fruitcake in YEARS, now! [​IMG] And you're trying to get rid of 'em?? (I guess this comes from living in the unpopulated area's?? I'll be on the next flight to Alaska!! I definitely believe in lending a hand to BYC folks. I know a really good method of disposing of fruitcake!! [​IMG] I'd fight the chickens w/a baseball bat for my share. [​IMG]

9. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:Too funny!

Gads! Do people still make those things? Yuck. [​IMG] Sorry krazeepolack!

10. krazeepolack

krazeepolack Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Too funny!

Gads! Do people still make those things? Yuck. [​IMG] Sorry krazeepolack!

I've read in the past, people even suggested using them as "boat anchors"..

I'm getting my scuba gear ready!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by