Thanks everyone! Eggs are in :)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ravynwood, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Ravynwood

Ravynwood Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2009
    Champaign, IL
    On the 18th, I put about 30 coturnix eggs into the bator, two khaki duck eggs (from the yard, dunno if they are fertile) and those will be added to on wednesday with 15 button quail eggs and a few silkie eggs. My current hatch dates are something like Nov 4th 7th and maybe 11th ish. I will post pics as soon as some are out of the shell.

Unless you guys feel I should post something earlier, let me know and I will.

Ravyn

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Good luck with your hatches!

3. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    that's a brave mix... good luck!! updates whenever you want.. we don't mind.. lol...

4. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Sounds awsome!

Can't wait for pics!

5. Ravynwood

Oct 13, 2009
    Champaign, IL
    Welll, its just day 1 really and I open the bator to check the water and I smell "that" smell... at least one of the eggs must have had a crack in it. I tried to candle them but they were very dark and I could not see anything.

Does anyone have any tips on finding the bad ones.

Ravyn

6. mahalo4

mahalo4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2009
    Gilbert,AZ
    Follow Your nose!! [​IMG]

7. Ravynwood

Oct 13, 2009
    Champaign, IL
    LOL, the only problem with following my nose is back several years ago, while having my wisdom teeth surgically extracted, they kinda messed up my sniffer.

Needless to say, I will get someone to do the dirty work for me

muahahahahahaha

Ravyn

8. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    Good luck with your hatch! Hope before too long we'll see pics of your cute little fuzzies [​IMG].

9. Ravynwood

Oct 13, 2009
    Champaign, IL
    Day 3 UPDATES

Last night I had a good nose check my bator and was told it actually smelt nice in there, so no bad eggs at this point. The eggs are currently in a LG forced air bator. I was struggling with humidity levels but last night I took a bastor and filled up all 3 trays with water (Which are full of sponges cut to size to fit in) and the humidity quickly jumped up to 66%. I am now fully confident in the LG and its ability.

I am going to build a candler, thanks to Todd for giving me the basics of making one.

My Hova-Bator is supposed to be arriving today, I am going to get it set up and running, and after it has settled in, I am xfering the eggs to the HBator and going to make the LG the lockdown bator. This afternoon I will post pictures of my bator set up, eggs, and parts to my candler.

Wish I had a blog....

Ravyn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by