Thanks Everyone!!! Paper plate is a great idea!! New questions

namato8

Hatching
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
The paper plate is a great idea for the roosting on the waterers sorry for being a spelling dummy before. Now for something else. I am new to chickens obviously and I have this one Red Star with what looks to be a blind eye note cloudiness in pix. She had it from the time I received the chicks. Any input? I am not planning to keep all 25 but as you all know that is how many I had to order. How do you think this happened? Can I sell her or would you keep. She is larger than some of the other chicks. Aggressive when it comes to treats. I am hand feeding dandelion green several times a day and she holds her own. Also I have this one Black Star that is way behind the others. Body shape seems different but that may be because she doesn't have tail feathers yet and neck seems long but heaven knows I am certainly not an authority. Guess I am getting nervous she may be a he. Also I have included a pix of waterer I mentioned in my last post.

14072_snow_day_feb_4th_341.jpg

14072_snow_day_feb_4th_343.jpg

14072_snow_day_feb_4th_315_2.jpg

Welcome to BYC! Is the eye weeping? Discharge from the eye would indicate infection. Otherwise, I'd guess that the eye was injured. Maybe someone else can tell you more.

I believe Red Stars are color sexable so she should be a hen and yes I'd keep her as long as she hasn't problems with the others. I doubt that anyone would buy her having the choice of a sighted bird
sad.png

Sorry I can't help about the chick with the cloudy eye..but if it makes you feel better I have a black sex link that is feathering out super slow as well, maybe its just how they are...
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom