Thanks for all the infomation.

Cynthia Knitter

Hatching
Aug 23, 2016
I am new to chickens and being in a forum. I am not a consistent writer but I do read and take advice that I have received on the website. Well I originally had 4 chicks, my dog got two of them and I had two left. I really secured the pen so no more little ones getting out. I ordered three more and now I have 5. Two of them , Christine and Gladys are older and bigger. Connie, Evelyn and Cheri are the new ones and they are about a month younger. I was having some anxiety about mixing the two different ages to the outside pen and run. I followed the advice of lot of people on the forum and had great success. No one hurt and they are sharing the pen and the coop. I divided the run with fencing so they could see each other and stick their beaks between the fencing but the bigger girls could not get the little girls. There was food and water on each side of the fence. I put a plastic tub with a hole cut out for the little ones to sleep in with some pine shavings. After a week I removed the fence and watched. The big girls yelled a couple of times at the little ones, they let them know the pecking order and the little ones moved out of the way. I added some extra branches at one end of the run for the little ones to run under and roost on too. The little ones went into the coop that night with the big girls and so far so good. It has been about 5 days since I removed the fence in the pen and when I looked through the window of the coop, they were all roosting in the coop. Thanks for all the good advice, It made a big difference for a novice like me. Gladys and Evelyn are Buff Orpingtons, Connie and Christine are Barred Rock hens and Cheri is a Buckeye. They are very friendly especially Christine, she loves being held and petted.

Hi, Cynthia, welcome to BYC. You have joined a great forum, and we are glad that you have joined our community.

Glad you joined the BYC flock Cynthia. Hope you will enjoy it as much as we do.
yesss.gif

Hi Cynthia, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so glad you successfully integrated them, a job well done! Thanks for joining the community, I hope you enjoy it here!

Back
Top Bottom