1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Thanks PP for leaving your axe at my house!! Graphic Pics

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by moodusnewchick, Dec 14, 2008.

1. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    I processed all by myself for the first time! Purple Chicken got us meat ducks awhile back. I was still attached when they were ready for processing. Well, it finally got to me. Two out of the five are now in the freezer. One skinned, one with skin on.

Now I need some recipes!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    [​IMG]

My first meaties are due for the hatchet in 4 weeks, but they're making it difficult for me since they're the first ones to come flocking towards me and try to sit in my lap...[​IMG]

3. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    You need to [​IMG]

Congrats on your kill/butcher/slaughter/cull whatever you want to call it. [​IMG]

4. babalubird

babalubird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Congrats on "doing the deed."[​IMG]

I hope I'm enough woman to do it when the time comes. Do I have "The Right Stuff"--that is the question.[​IMG]

Connie

5. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Congrats it look great [​IMG]

6. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    Duck is soooo gooooooood. Nice job!! [​IMG]

7. moodusnewchick

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    Quote:thank you! I can tell you that it really helped me to have a small group of fellow BYCers to work with when I first started. I never would have thought I would have the "right stuff" to complete the deed. What helped me was acknowledging that I eat meat and someone has to do it (though sometimes I still consider not eating meat!). Then seeing some of the factory videos helped. THEN meeting Purple Chicken at CTchickenstock and having him shyly ask if anyone wanted to learn. From then on, I've been able to do the deed...though it was difficult to eat the first bird from my yard. If you're really into self sustainment, you'll do it eventually!

good luck!

8. moodusnewchick

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    thank you all for commenting! it really was quite an accomplishment to actually do this on my own.

9. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    Now come and teach me....I've got 3 roos we can practice on.

me,
    g

10. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I knew I'd need to learn by first watching someone do it in person, and now I offer to show & help others learn this essential life skill. I have a friend who always wants to come over whenever I'm processing, in order to hone her processing skills. It will probably never be my favorite chore to do around here, but it does leave me with a lot of satisfaction when it's done. I feel like Tom Hanks in the movie Cast Away, after he finally managed to start a fire by rubbing sticks together. Although I don't go hopping around singing like he did around his fire, I want to brag to someone "Hey! I made meat!"
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by