Thanks so much to all !

shadowpaints

Songster
10 Years
Jun 20, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
im loving life here, im so greatfull to every one here!
we put 25 cornish cross in the freezer today, all averaged 6-8 lbs, butchered them a week early tho, because of a conflicting horse show
you all have given me the stregnth to raise my own meat. for the 3rd year in a row, i have raised and butchered 50-100 meat birds on my own, not counting evil roosters that became soup, also have raised a steer every year, abnd 2 pigs a year!

and i owe it to this part of the board!!

we are VERY self sufficent now!

we raise a garden, we go huckleberry picking, farm fresh eggs, fresh goats milk (i have done this always tho!) we butcher a goat every year or so raise our own chicken , pork and beef..

the only thing i have to shop for is clothes! LOL

i think that when the time comes we will be the only ones on our block that are prepared! YAY!

thanks again! i love you all

Last edited:
It is a great feeling to raise ones own food. Although we didn't get to do the pig this year, we did get about 45 meat birds in the freezer, strawberries, blueberries and raspberries, waiting to get to the beans and other veggies, garden was late this year, and hunting season starts next month for venizon.
woot.gif

Congratulations.

We have just purchased a small hobby farm and plan on doing the exact same thing you are doing. I would love to see pics, break down on feed to food cost, etc.

dont really have a lot of pics, try not to take too many of the animals we plan on eating, we dont want to attach ourselves to them lol

BUT

the cornish cost us about 10$ a bird thats including purchase and feed.

to raise a goat from birth to butcher (6 months) is about 60$

to raise a pig from weaner to butcher (about 6 months) is about 150 (paid 35 for the pig at 8 weeks old)

we but our steers as yearlings for 100 from the auction raise them for a year, end up spending 500 a steer including purchase, but cant butcher here, so it costs another 120 for butcher.

our milk does cost about 100 each to keep each year and we get 50 gallons or so each. we have 3 milk does.

hope that helps?

our hay runs 120 for a ton of alfalfa, the steers, goats, pigs get hay. our feed is organic no pestisides and 18 % protien. our friend makes it.

we pay 10$ for 75 lbs of sweet feed from the local mill, the goats, pigs and steers get that

Quote:
Yes it helps, and thank you for taking the time to post that.

I can't wait to get to the point you are now. We have to have a house on the land first, but I want my animals NOW! I have a patience problem...lol

it really is awesome feeling to have food available at all times. some of the animals pay for their selves, the layers, i selll eggs for 2.50 a dozen, goats milk i sell 8 $ a gallon, the baby goats sell for 50-100 each i even sell some of the meat birds and offer free butchering
smile.png

its fun to do something i love to do, no regrets
smile.png
took us 8 long years to get to this point! somday, we will have a milk cow , maybe i prefer goats milk
smile.png

I need a "like" button! We are working hard to get to that same point and are getting close. Congratulations on all your hard work!

bow.gif
That's amazing!
clap.gif
I'm working literally piece by piece (animal-by-animal) to get there. I have 2 goats, a buck and a doe, we just got a rabbit buck today and I get to order my layers and meat birds next month. I'm also hoping to get a calf and a piglet or 2. My garden has been pretty good so far, but thanks to the lovely animals and their FREE fertilizer, I know it will be much better next year!
fl.gif
And one of my sons is a fishing-aholic! Fortunately we live right on a river.
thumbsup.gif

Edited to fix typos!
hide.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom