Thanks to all the contributors

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Dmontgomery, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Dmontgomery

Dmontgomery Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    I joined BYC about 2 years ago. I never posted anything, I just soaked up information. We built our first coop over the July 4th weekend in 2014. I used what I had at the time to slap something together and move 10 chickens from my son's old house to his new lot. The little coop and run only took a couple days. It looks like something Oliver would have built on "Green Acres".
    By April of this year our little group had dwindled down to 2 bantam hens and a rooster. So we decided it was time to rebuilld the flock and the coop. We purchased 35 new chicks locally and the next day one of the bantams went broody with her 3 eggs.
    3 weeks ago I started on the NEW coop after several months of research on BYC. I "finished" it today. It's now in our yard so I don't have to travel 1/4 mile to my son's to check on them every morning. The coop is 16x16, with an additional 8x16 covered, and a 16x24 predator proof run.
    Without all your help none of it would have been possible. Thank you so much. I hope to be able to post all the photos soon.

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Yes - we all love pictures!! We all "steal" bits and pieces (ideas) from seeing all the different types of coops out there [​IMG]

3. Dmontgomery

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    The finished coop with some of the flock inside. Still need to clean up and landscape around the outside.
    [​IMG]

Finally a sunny day for a better image.
    [​IMG]

4. Eggsoteric

Eggsoteric Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Nicely done! Funny how chicken math "sneaks" up on you, eh? [​IMG]

5. teach1rusl

That looks great!

6. Dmontgomery

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La

Thanks. Went to your coop page. Looks like we have pretty much the same runs! How tall is yours? I got tired of bumping my head while collecting eggs so everything is 5'10" or higher.

7. TerryH

TerryH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2016
    NW Arkansas
    My Coop
    Beautiful job!!

8. teach1rusl

Ours
    Yeah, that's our "big girl" run - it's 6 ft. tall. [​IMG] We have two other coops/runs as well - all the runs are "people sized" lol!

9. Dmontgomery

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    My old run was about 8' but I was really dumb with my old coop. It started out 6' but had a sloped roof with a 1/12 pitch. So walking to the back to collect eggs caused me to bang my head, everyday for 2 years. The lowest point of my new run is a 5'10" door and everything gets higher from there going to 7'. The coop roof is 9'. At this stage of life I expect to start shrinking, not getting taller.

10. jennyf

jennyf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2016
    Missouri
    Very neat! What did you use over the top of the run?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by