Thanks to BYC - my three sided coop is finished and ready for my girls!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Skittleinaustin, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Skittleinaustin

Skittleinaustin Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    Austin
    I cannot thank you all enough for your support. Whether you knew it or not, you all gave me an education in chickens and construction! The first thing I have ever built is my coop...Fort Bok Bok! It took about 8 months of reading, politicing (with the family first, then the neighbors), video viewing (learned how to use all the tools through youtube) and then I was ready to take the plunge. My FIL helped me get an even foundation and then I was off to the races. I started it December 27th, finished it on March 4th. My favorite features include the compost doors...one on the primary side for egg collecting so we can give the girls kitchen scraps when we come down to collect eggs. The other is on the side of my main garden (fenced in to keep my dogs out) so I can give them garden goodies. I can also let them out to free range as needed! I put a clean out trap at the roost for easy dumping, double doors on one side big enough for a wheelbarrow for big clean out days and a single solid door on the side that gets the most sun, to provide more shady spots on our hot summer days! I am using oak leaves for the floor and shavings up on the roost. Ill put in a sand box for them to take their baths in.

I am very pleased with my creation and am excited to get my girls this Saturday morning! Again, thank you BYC!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Congrats! Your coop looks great! And [​IMG]

Nate

3. Skittleinaustin

Jul 13, 2011
    Austin
    thanks Nate. I realized i forgot the coop portion...
    . [​IMG]

4. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    How many and what breed are you getting?

Nate

5. Skittleinaustin

Jul 13, 2011
    Austin
    I am going to get 2 easter eggers, 2 sexlink reds and 2 buff orphingtons. Between 6 - 12 weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by