BullChick

Wrangler
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Apr 17, 2012
Coffee shop in zone 5
Since the holidays are different this year, I thought I’d start a thread to help everyone figure out what to do. Are you the one that brings the turkey? You need to make sides too this year. Is your specialty the cranberry orange sauce? You might want to expand your menu. If you just show up, and let everyone else cook, you’re going to starve! 😱
BYC has many cooking and baking threads if you want to go to the “pros” for things, but we can also share recipes and answers here.
So, without further ado...
What dishes are the most important to you?

Believe it or not, I like to eat turkey on Thanksgiving. I am stumped on what sides to make, but I’ll likely make rolls from scratch. What recipe I’ll use is the question. As far as dessert, I plan on making ice cream, and some kind of pie. Breakfast is cinnamon rolls. We’ve always had cinnamon rolls Thanksgiving morning while watching the parade.

daughter and I make dinner together, and we eat all together at her house. We will downsize to a turkey breast instead of a whole turkey, but a spiral ham is the fan favorite! She will do one, me the other. 2 ovens are better than one! I make my mother's stuffing recipe, sweet corn casserole, mashed potatoes. She will do the green bean casserole(cheddar cheese on top--no onion things!), gravy. I do desserts with help from granddaughter(12): pumpkin, pecan, cherry, apple pies. The menfolk(hubby, son, SIL go out for breakfast and get rolls and rye bread from the bakery. they always get too much. Dinner is at 3 . No extra company this year, but new grandson should be there. due on Nov. 7

We call our Thanksgiving table the "Island of Misfit Toys," as everyone in attendance were unable to visit family or had plans fall through elsewhere. This year it will just be the two of us (our family is too far and we're respecting social distance guidelines), but I don't know how to cook for small numbers sooo we're expecting leftovers for days.

Here's the menu plan: roast chicken (from our flock), ham steak, candied yams or carrots, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, fried brussel sprouts with cider vinaigrette + bacon, cornbread pecan dressing and bourbon pecan pie. Also gotta have a cheese plate, deviled eggs and bacon wrapped chestnuts for midday snacks.

The last few years my father has made a Turkey and pie. My DH and I come over and help with the rest, then he goes and gets his mom to join us for the dinner. Two years ago my ex step brother was still living there, but last year it was just us.
My father and my mil are the only people outside of work I have seen since March and her only once. So if will probably be us again.

My family situation is unusual, so I’m likely dining alone. I spent too much on a turkey breast (I didn’t notice I was grabbing a 7 pounder!), but wish I’d gotten a whole bird since it would have been cheaper! Because of that, I’m pretty sure I am raising turkeys again next year.
Anyway... I like yams and sweet potatoes, I might make corn. I am skipping homemade stuffing, and doing Stovetop. I suppose I can make myself some baked macaroni and cheese (especially if the 6-y-o is here). Cheesy green beans sound good. :caf I have to make Thanksgiving feel real because it’s something to look forward to.

Do you stuff your turkey? I was engaged to a DJ many years ago, and after doing a gig at a bar (free drinks!), I had to stuff my first turkey. :gig I had a few more drinks to get through it.

Back
Top Bottom