Thanksgiving and beyond hatches, lockdown starts today

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 6littlechickies, Nov 21, 2010.

1. 6littlechickies

6littlechickies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Burton, OH
    We have our own flock of BCM's but I wanted to try introduce some new stock and also increase our flock size. Over the last few weeks I had purchased some eggs from BYCer's oberhaslikid and ChooksChick and from EBayer chaseman81901. i hadn't planned on it but looks like I've got a Thanksgiving hatch a-comin!! I actually bought the eggs from chaseman first, on Oct. 22 but they didn't ship until this past Tuesday..hens just showing us they have their own schedule![​IMG] I had bought the eggs from oberhaslikid on Oct 26. They shipped on Nov 1 and arrived here on the 3rd. The eggs from ChooksChick were shipped on Nov 5 and arrived on the 8th. Oberhaslikid (Group A) sent 2 extras in my order, Chookschick (Group B) sent 3 for groups of 12 and 13 in their batches. Last batch from chaseman81901 (Group C) has 15 eggs and was set last night before bed.

THEN, today, one of my bantam Russian Orloff's decided it's a good time to start laying again! [​IMG] soo, I'll be collecting her eggs for the next few days (and hopefully from some of her comrades that she spurs into laying too [​IMG] ) and will be setting those later this week, after Group A hatch finishes. I have some our BCM eggs too, three as of today, hoping to get a dozen nice ones to set. I'm really hoping some of my Ameraucana's will decide to contribute some eggs soon too as I'd like to include some of theirs in the RO/BCM hatch.

Funny story on our BCM eggs, DH has been very resistant to me setting any of OUR eggs as he said he didn't want chicks over winter, but then just spurred me on buying some first on ebay, then here. Today, he asks if I am planning on setting our BCM eggs! [​IMG] I love my hubby but he makes me NUTS sometimes! I could have just set our own eggs had he mentioned this to me a month ago but oh well! [​IMG] Always nice to get some new stock and worst case I can sell them in late spring as dark egg layers. they'll be close to laying by then and I shouldn't have an issue rehoming them. All the eggs I got were nice in color and I know it's late in the season so i'm hoping the offspring will throw some really nice eggs.

to recap:
    oberhaslikid - 12 eggs, set 11/4, lockdown 11/21, hatch 11/24
    ChooksChick - 13 eggs, set 11/10, lockdown 11/26, hatch 11/30
    chaseman81901 - 15 eggs, set 11/21, lockdown 12/8, hatch 12/11
    Orloff's - TBD, planning to set 11/26, lockdown 12/14, hatch 12/17

I'll have to add pics of Chookschick and chaseman but here are some pics from oberhaslikid's eggs. The color looks washed out here, most are at least a 6 and a couple are closer to 7. I took these pics in sunlight and put a Marans egg color card next to them for reference.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, Group A will be the first to hatch, they went into lockdown this morning. Of the 12 eggs sent, 10 look to be developing on track and were put into lockdown! [​IMG] Luckily, it should be busy the next few days so hopefully I'll be able to keep my mind occupied and my eyes off the bator![​IMG]

Anyone else out there set to hatch around these dates? I [​IMG] hatching buddies!

2. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    I have a batch due 11/26 the day after Thanksgiving! They are all mixes, but I am very excited to see what they are going to turn out like!

16 eggs started out with. 12 prob going into lockdown, lockdown 11/23, hatch 11/26

Here are the 16 eggs I started out with!

[​IMG]

3. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    Ive got a batch going to lockdown on Tuesday the 23rd. For a hatch on the 26th. 3 BLRW from bishops... I started with 15 and one broke in shipping then three didn't develop, then all but 3 where early quiters....sigh.... so I'm hopeing for all three of these lil guys to hatch!
    I have 3 of my own BLRW to and 2 of my sisters Ameraucanas. So we've got a total of 8! Go babys go!

4. 6littlechickies

May 12, 2009
    Burton, OH
    YAY! [​IMG] soo excited to have some buddies to chat with whilst I wait. [​IMG]

Nothing to report on the eggs in lockdown yet, as you'd figure being only day 19! [​IMG]

Went down to the coops this morning and was surprised with three BCM eggs (unfortunately, I stepped on the darkest of them--DRAT!), one olive egg and another RO egg!!! [​IMG] very happy on the orloff eggs! the girls have taken a break for weeks now and I'm getting kinda tired of their freeloading! lol:lau I kid, I kid--they are my fav's and i just love em to bits! [​IMG] can't wait to hatch some more babies, they are sooo cute!

sloallie10 - nice eggs! what breeds do you currently have that these could be mixes of? Surprise hatches like that are always fun! We did a hatch like that last year and it was a hoot, i loved watching all the babies grow and change as their got their adult feathers.

Duramaxgirl - Sorry to hear of such low numbers on your eggs but here's to some great hatching out of those last three!! [​IMG] [​IMG] I have BBS Amer, what color are your sisters? really hoping the girls give me at least a couple to set. Guess I can't really get upset, we just added some new girls last week so they are all probably still adjusting and not quite ready to start giving me eggs.

5. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    Quote:Dani, my sisters ameraucanas are wheaten and a blue wheaten roo. I have a wheaten and white hen and a lavender too. We purchased them from Jean from pips and peeps. She lives sorta close to us. Her birds are awesome! Such beautiful blue eggs.
    Oh boy... lockdown tomorrow! We candled them and they we're moving!

6. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Awe how fun! I just started some silkies from reesepoultry on Friday. If all goes well I am hoping to get December hatch.

7. howeser

howeser Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2010
    Lansing
    I should be hatching out 9 this Sat or Sun... some silkies and the rest a mix from RIR or Brahma hens and Brahma cock

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    sloallie10 - nice eggs! what breeds do you currently have that these could be mixes of? Surprise hatches like that are always fun! We did a hatch like that last year and it was a hoot, i loved watching all the babies grow and change as their got their adult feathers.

They are not my chickens but the
    Roos: EE, some kind of tall game breed, White faced black spanish, white silkie
    HEns: EEs, silkies (white black partrige), RIR, BO, leghorn ( I tossed the leghorn eggs they were not developing / bloodring), and 2 mixes.

I think thats it but I am pretty excited to see what I come up with! I hope the dad is the EE cause I want some fluffy cheek chicks!!​

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    You folks are making me wish I owned a sportsman... but then I'd have to find an outlet to sell chicks!

I'm getting some of Chooks Chicks FBCMs for my New Years Day hatch... looks like she's got nice dark eggs.

10. 6littlechickies

May 12, 2009
    Burton, OH
    Quote:[​IMG] DH and I are looking into cabinet ones now as we know we're gonna need it this spring. Between the chickens, peas and pheasants I'm running out of space quickly!

Chooks Chicks has very nice eggs, the pictures I've attached before are from oberhaslikid, I just took a pic of Chooks eggs, they are the top row (by the egg chart) and the left 1/2 of the row below that. The other eggs in this pic are from ebayer chaseman.

[​IMG]

in incubation related news... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] LET THE HATCHING BEGIN! WE HAVE A PIP! [​IMG] now I need the others to kick into gear! come on babies!

here's a pic of some of OUR recently collected eggs...the blue-ish colored egg on the bottom is from one of our EE's, the light brown egg is from a BO, the dark brown are from our BCM and the olive are from our OE's. this was taken in my kitchen so the color is slightly washed out, the BCM are between a 5-6 on the chart.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by