1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Thanksgiving bird question.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by PickawayCountyFarmer, Nov 20, 2013.

1. PickawayCountyFarmer

PickawayCountyFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2010
    How long before Thanksgiving can I butcher the turkey and safely store him in the refrigerator without freezing? I would like to butcher on Sunday but I am concerned that will be too long in the fridge before Thursday.

2. MyPetNugget

MyPetNugget Enjoying the cold!!!

Turkeys in the store sit there for months. I wouldn't be too worried about it being in the freezer for 5 days.

3. MyPetNugget

And [​IMG]

4. PickawayCountyFarmer

Aug 1, 2010
    I would perfer not to freeze the bird if possible.

5. MyPetNugget

You could maybe try to do it the day before thanksgiving. I don't know how long they can sit on the counter. :p

6. PickawayCountyFarmer

Aug 1, 2010
    I planned on leaving it in the spare fridge to keep it chilled, just didn't want to freeze it.

7. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    Doing it the weekend before thanksgiving is perfect. That is when most people process so they can have a fresh turkey. Doing it on Sun allows your bird 3 days to sit in the refrigerator to go through rigor and then you cook on the 4th day. I am processing my 5 turkeys this Sun also, customers pick up on Mon.
    No freezing required .

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  8. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I'm with Chicken Pickin on this one.

Fresh meat must be handled properly. No leaving out on the counter. Make good use of that extra refrigerator. If I had an extra'fridge it would be full. BOth my chest freezers are full.

Be sure to clean the bird before putting it into the 'fridge.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by