Thanksgiving Chicken!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Malissa, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Malissa

Malissa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    Just wanted to share since I recently processed 3 roosters with help from an Old Order Mennonite neighbor. It was a fabulous experience and we thawed out one of the birds which my husband smoked today! Best chicken EVER! It was a 5 mo. Ameraucana rooster. We brined it for about 2 days and stuffed it with apples, lemon, onion and spices. We are definitely excited to try meat birds next summer! These roosters were all hatches from a broody and we are 4 for 4 Roosters! Well, now we know how good they taste, we'll just let the broodies have their fun! Taste was flavorful and NOT gamey! :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not sure which one we ate today, but either this one or his brother, a blue Ameraucana mix.

2. chickyfuzz

chickyfuzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2013
    That looks great to eat.

3. BCMaraniac

BCMaraniac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Yum yum!!! We have been meaning to smoke one, just haven't dug out the smoker. What kind of wood did you use to smoke with?

We had roasted chicken today for Thanksgiving. It was really good. I am hoping to have a nice big capon next year.

4. Malissa

Malissa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    My husband used hickory chips since that is what he had. He does a mean pulled pork and has done turkey in the past. This was his first whole chicken to smoke. It was very yummy. I didn't weight it when we butchered, but it fed 2 adults, 2 kids (we ate kind of light today) and we have afew pieces left for left overs. Not the meatiest of birds but was a good taste of chicken dinners to come when we get the right breed!

5. BCMaraniac

BCMaraniac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    The size doesn't matter....you can always cook two!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by