1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Thanksgiving Cooking Countdown!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by The Chicken Lady, Nov 21, 2009.

1. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Post what you're working on each day to get ready for the FEAST. [​IMG]

Today, my sister and I are making cookies.

2. CedarRidgeChicks

CedarRidgeChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Adair Co.Ky
    My sanity!!..j/k..going grocery shopping today.

3. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Today I will pull my 20 pound turkey out of freezer to thaw in fridge for 5 days!
    I will check to see if I got anymore eggs, yesterday DH found two. I was scared I was going to have to buy eggs this Thanksgiving. But 4 of my chickens turn 6 months this week, and it looks as though I will get eggs!!
    So, today I also will go buy some lay crumble.
    I will have to buy a pumpkin to make my pies, didn't grow any this year.

Yummy turkey day!!!!!!!!!!!

4. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    Well I am sick so today I will be planning the menu and making up the grocery list. This is fun though cause I'll be pouring through recipe's on the internet. Hopefully I will feel well enough on Monday to do all the shopping.

5. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

Well, I have the weekend off so no cooking for me [​IMG]

But, here is my timeline for the week. It's just me and DH but I go all out anyway [​IMG] We often have people showing up from DH's work that don't have anyone tho...

Tuesday: Making the brine for the turkey, then off to get the bird. Getting last min things I need for the big day on Wed...looks like all I need is some apple juice for the brine and the turkey! WOOT shopping all done [​IMG]

Wednesday: Placing bird in brine and getting it all ready to soak for 24 hours. Prepping the veggies, and stuffing balls. <they have to sit in the fridge for a while so I make them in the evening>. Making a few pumpkin pies. Prepping potatoes to be mashed <washing them and getting them ready>. Making gravy ahead of time <awesome recipe I got online>. Get cool whip out of freezer <DH is addicted to that stuff...I figure he can have it on the holiday>

Thursday: Bird is taken from brine and rinsed off before going to oven with the aromatics in the cavity. Cooking mashed potatoes. Making the rolls. Making the ambrosia salad. It sounds like a lot but its not really. Baking the sweet potato for me <cos DH can't stand them lol>. Getting the steamer out to cook the carrots/peas etc. 30 mins before bird is done i put the stuffing balls in the oven to cook for an hour. When bird is done, set aside to rest for about 30 mins or so and put rolls in oven, start veggies, and work on gravy...while mashing the potatoes. Carve bird, and enjoy having my DH rave over the bird as usual [​IMG] And he does the dishes!!

Then after we eat and all that good stuff, we carve up the rest of the bird, all leftovers that we have <that we dont send home with anyone> put into the frige, and then freezer pack everything the next day except for the bits we work on for the next few days.

6. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    We've started thawing our 2 25lb. turkeys. By Tuesday they will go into a brine bath and marinate in their own juices until the day before and the day of Thanksgiving.

Pies will come the day before. I'm making 10 this year, 2 regular pumpking and 1 vegan pumpkin. 2 apple pies, 1 vegan apple, 2 buttermilk pies (MMM [​IMG]) a pecan, this is my first time making one and a sweet potato pie.

We're hosting quite a large dinner. [​IMG]

7. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    taking turkey out to thaw today will make my pies and cheese cakes wed. everything else will be fixed thursday

8. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I made three kinds of cookies over the weekend: chocolate chip, cherry coconut, and peanut butter.

I have turkey-themed napkins and dessert plates, and I bought butter sculpted like a turkey from the GFS (Gordon Food Service) store by us. It's fun to have the turkey-shaped butter for Thanksgiving.

The turkey (24 lbs.) is thawing (I had to call my mom and remind her to get it out of the freezer!!). I'm headed to my parents' house tomorrow night, and Mom and I will be baking pies on Wednesday. I can't wait for homemade pie!

9. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

10. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    well last night I made pumpkin rolls, today cleaning the house up a little bit more, wed night putting my christmas tree up. if I can get dh to get it down for me.
    I already have 1 pumpkin pie fixed also, just takes about an hour to do pecan pie, and will wait till wed for the cheescakes unless I bake them then I will do them tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by