Thanksgiving day treats?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Alley, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Alley

Alley Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    Eureka, California
    As a treat for Thanksgiving my girls are having left over corn chowder, 2 biscuits and yam peels. What are you giving yours?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Mine had stuffing, pumpkin pie, and TURKEY!!! [​IMG] They loved it all!

3. Chooksaurus

Chooksaurus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    NW WI
    They got the guts from a squash that we roasted and the scraps from an apple that we used to stuff the rotisseried turkey.

They also got 8 new friends to hang with as we adopted part of my parents' flock. They were not exactly edible "treats" but they actually seem to enjoy each others company. Strange birds, these chickens are. [​IMG]

Over the next few days they will surely get the scraps from the turkey, ham, and everything else, but not before I've had my leftovers! If they lay really well, perhaps I will even make them a ham and egg omelette.

(Edited for spelling.)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  4. Jody

Jody Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Epping, NH
    Mine got squash, celery, carrots, scratch and a couple hours of free range for the first time and they scored some fat juicy worms for themselves.

Nice birds they were when it was time to go back in the run.. obedient little critters they were [​IMG]

5. chickens4me

chickens4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    Mine got roasted Sweet Potatoes, Spinach Salad, a little mashed potatoes, and some Turkey~~Oh dear, would this be considered cannibalism?! [​IMG]

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I made pumpkin pie from pumkins. (not canned) So they got the leftovers of the cooked pumpkin.

They also got mashed potatoes, rolls and green beans. The dog got the meat, and some mashed potatoes and green beans.

7. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

Our poor, neglected, abused, starving (what else did they say they were..........oh yes!!) scrawny birds were given bread and water!! [​IMG]

NOT!!!! little liars! [​IMG] HMPH!

Try Turkey, a little stuffing, a roll, sweet potato, mashed potato WITH a little gravy (and they loved the gravy lol), a little tiny bit of pumpkin pie (cos I don't want to share), peas/carrots/corn, and apples. There really isnt much salt or sugar in the dinners I make so I figure it wont kill them right away [​IMG]

Ya, abused and neglected and starving my lily white rump! The nerve of the feathered ingrates I tell you.... they are lucky they are loved I tell you! [​IMG]

BTW The Turkey was the first thing grabbed and finished...they couldnt grab that turkey fast enough. [​IMG] They actually were chasing each other around like little chicks sqwaking "I GOT IT I GOT IT YOU DON'T GOT IT NEENER NEENER!!!" [​IMG] Honestly...18 weeks old and this is how they behave! [​IMG] They are starting to mess with the nesting boxes like big grown up ladies, but show them Turkey and BOOM revert back to chicks [​IMG]

Poor Momma Esther just shook her head and looked at me about their behavior, and Mercedes just hollered at them to sit down and behave!

I think the Ladies need to go to The School for Proper Manners. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by