1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Thanksgiving dinner FOR ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Duck Hill, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Duck Hill

Duck Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2015
    South Carolina
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanksgiving dinner for my ducks!
    Recipe: Cut the very top off of the pumpkin. Do not clean out the inside. Fill two thirds full of scratch mix. Bake for an hour or two till nearly done. The pumpkin creates enough juice while cooking to plump up the scratch and give it a good flavor. Add two pounds of green garden peas (frozen, in this case). Bake another half hour or so. Let cool. Cut the top off the pumpkin to the level of the food. Serve. My ducks love peas, so while the pumpkin looked strange to them they came for the peas. Then after a bit they discovered the pumpkin-y scratch. They loved that too.

After they were done I let the chickens have a go at it. They loved it as well! By the end of the second day, even the pumpkin was mostly gone.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  2. JanetMarie

JanetMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Michiana
    Great recipe! Keeping for future reference. Thanks for sharing!

3. revans2003

revans2003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2015
    Whoah!!!!

4. tmorgan46

tmorgan46 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2015
    Stafford, VA
    Terrific idea!! We just put a half of pumpkin out to see who liked and who didn't. Chickens are all over it; ducks and geese - not so much... I'll have to "lace" it with yummy treats and see if that increases the appeal factor. Thanks for sharing this idea.

Troy & Tina

5. Duck Hill

Duck Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2015
    South Carolina
    The first time I put out a half pumpkin, like you, without filling, and the ducks left it alone during the day, they preferred foraging. But I put it in their house overnight and during those long, boring night-time hours... by morning half of it was gone. Now they are getting used to the taste of it.

1 person likes this.
  6. tmorgan46

Sep 22, 2015
    Stafford, VA
    Aaaaahhhh! I didn't think of it that way. Good call. I like that idea.

7. cayugaducklady

cayugaducklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2015
    New England USA
    When I offer raw pumpkin to my girls they just eat the seeds and the stringy pulp.

But if I bake it in the oven for anout an hour and jet cool in oven over night and put it out for them they eat everything but the toughest parts of the skin.

8. tmorgan46

Sep 22, 2015
    Stafford, VA
    I'm liking that idea as well!! Will try that this weekend and see how it goes over with the troops!!!
    Thanks @cayugaducklady

Troy & Tina

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by