Thanksgiving dinner for the chooks-2 things I've never fed before-OK?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gritsar, Nov 22, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I will be making fresh cranberry sauce for thanksgiving, even though I am the only one in the family that loves it. I'm thinking I will only make half a bag and give the other half to the chickens (fresh). I think they can have cranberries, correct?

Also, I have two large packs of turkey giblets that I bought for my dogs but being the spoiled rotten brats that they are, the dogs won't touch them. I know chickens can have turkey (and chicken), but I've never fed them organ meat before. Is it okay to feed it? I plan to cook it for them first.

2. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Hey Grit,

I think the chickens would like the organ meat just as it is. I know they say that it is healthier for raw fed animals to eat the stuff raw so maybe save the cooking and see if they like ti as it is?

3. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    I've fed mine raw cranberries. I don't think they were impressed--they would have preferred them cooked with a bit of sugar. They have non-existent sweet teeth.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I cook the giblets just as a matter of course, then I dice up everything but the heart and give the bits to the chickens. (I love the heart, myself...)

You're gonna love the Made It Yourself cranberry sauce! Any orange zest to brighten it up a tad?

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I've been making fresh cranberry sauce since I was a teenager...yes they had cranberries back in the Dark Ages [​IMG] . Just no one in this family likes them but me. In fact, SD #1 is the only one besides me that likes cranberries in any form and she only likes the jellied.

I wanted to cook the organ meat because as DH pointed out, my chickens take vulture to a whole new level. The kidneys are pretty tough and he's afraid they'll choke themselves to death trying to gobble (pardon the pun) them down whole.

Thanks y'all.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by