Thanksgiving hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by aggieterpkatie, Oct 15, 2009.

1. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    I'm suffering from Wantsbabychickenitis. I am debating getting an incubator so I can hatch mutt chicks from my own hens' eggs. I have family coming for Thanksgiving, and thought it'd be really cool if I could have them hatch out on Thanksgiving! That way everyone could be a part of it.

What do you all do with your chicks in the winter? I can keep them in the garage in a brooder, but do they do ok? When will they be able to join the rest of the chickens in the coop outside?

2. Rainsong

Rainsong Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2009
    Beaverton, OR
    That would be totally awesome... Thanksgiving hatch!! I've got Wantsbabychikenitis (or Wantsbabyquailitis), but I can't have chickens at all- living in an apartment and all.

From my reading the chickens should be fine outside once fully feathered- but I'd let an experts second or disagree with that [​IMG]

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Holy cow! I'd be a wreck if I did that! Between cooking for everyone, getting the house ready AND hatching chickens. I guess it would keep you from sitting there watching the bator though.

It would be cool for everyone to see them hatch.

4. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:I'll have my mom and sister to help cook. [​IMG] I think our two kids plus my neice and nephew would love it!

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Well, then I say go for it! As long as you have help cooking.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by