Thanksgiving Help Needed Please! (The parents are still in Montana)

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by MaggieRae, Nov 23, 2009.

1. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    My parents aren't going to be here for Thanksgiving because of my father's heart attack in Montana. This is my first Thanksgiving EVER without them. [​IMG] My grandparents are here and will help with the cooking, but my step-grandmother and I don't get along very well [​IMG] (She hates my father, too. The good news is, my grandfather adores him. *Really, if you imagine any step-mom from any childhood story, that's what she's like.*). So BYC, I need your help to make a good thanksgiving. Any recipes or tips would be much appreciated! I cook, so I kind of know my way around the kitchen, but usually I'm just helping out mom.

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    can do!
    first how many people?

3. MaggieRae

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    4 or 5, I think. There's going to be my grandparents and myself, and then a friend who my mother invited previously who has never had a thanksgiving meal before! (And he should have, but his mom had 14 kids and didn't want to cook a feast for them all. [​IMG] ) So I really want it to be good! (The 5th person is my best friend, but I don't know if my grandfather will let him come over since all things male are essentially the devil when it comes to his only granddaughter. [​IMG] Oh well.)

4. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Oh sweetie I am so sorry to hear about your Dad and that you will not get to see them for the holiday. I live in Montana, where abouts are they?

5. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Get about a 12 to 15 pound bird and get it thawing on a pan in the bottom shelf of the fridge..do that today!
    What are you having mashed potatoes, gravy dinner rolls? Make a list of every dish you want to prepare and it will make shopping easier!
    You can log on to allrecipes.com and get just about any recipe you could imagine!

6. MaggieRae

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:Kallispell? I can't spell it... Yesterday he got out of ICU, and today he might get out of the hospital! [​IMG] But, they still want to see him in a week, so he probably won't get home until Tuesday... [​IMG]

7. MaggieRae

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:Ok, I'm setting out to the store in an hour or so. I'm good at making sweet potato casserole, so I thought I would do that. I'm going to make wheat rolls... I was just on allrecipes. I have a word document open that I'm adding to right now. Thanks! [​IMG] I think I need a vegetable of some sort though. Mom's friend won't eat corn, and I don't think mashed potatoes would be good since we already have sweet potato casserole as a side. [​IMG] Any ideas?

8. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    What about the green bean casserole with the mushroom soup and french fried onions?

9. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Green bean cassarole, I just put up a recipie for one, i'll dig you the link.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=269856

a pie (store bought is fine, it's your first year)

Dressing (from a mix is ok, you'll need celery to add in)

A handy tip it so assemble your sides the day before, so all you need to do is slip them into the oven on the day.

Grab 2 packets of gravy, so if you have a problem getting yours done, you can swap in.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  10. MaggieRae

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:Oh, that sounds good! I [​IMG] mushrooms, and I know James (Mom's friend) loves green beans.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by