Thanksgiving Miracle (Kinda Long)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Imp, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Just wanted to share a story of a Thanksgiving miracle I witnessed about 5 years ago. Although it is not chicken related. It is bird related.

When I first bought this house the first person I met was my new next door neighbor Terrie. She was beautiful, athletic and an incredibly nice person. About the same age as I was- 30s. She was in training at the time to become a police officer, and already had a job lined up with the city next to us, when she finished training. Terrie and I hit it off from the start and shared many moments talking over the backyard fence. Over the course of the next couple years we met each others friends and family. Terrie liked bringing her friends over to my yard to watch the chickens, and to pick flowers.
    About 5 years after moving here I was talking to Terrie and her boyfriend when I noticed a large purple mark on her thigh. It was huge about 4" x 12". I asked her what had happened and Terrie said that she had had a tumor removed. She brushed it off, so did I. Things continued for about another year when Terrie told me that she had been diagnosed with lung cancer. It had spread. That was a bad day.
    Terrie remained relatively healthy through her first rounds of radiation and chemo. She continued working as much as she could. Unfortunately it didn't get the cancer. So a few months later she started another round of both. This time she was very ill, of course she lost all her hair and became very skinny. I along with several other neighbors cooked for her. She couldn't keep it down. We took care of her house and yard. Kept in contact with her parents and boyfriend.
    One day I came home from work and found her doubled over in pain in her backyard. I asked her if there was anything I could do. She said No. That her last X Rays of her lungs looked like night sky full of stars. Another bad day.
    Terrie started another round of therapy knowing it was mostly trying to buy time. She got skinnier and sicker. Rarely left the house. Her parents were almost daily visitors. About 5 years ago, at the end of September, she came over to my house crying. She had just had to put down her old cat, it had died from cancer. There was nothing I could say or do. She didn't deserve that.
    But back to Thanksgiving. Terrie about a year earlier had adopted a parrotlet. She loved that bird, taught it to sit on her mug and drink tea with her. It came when she called it. Mostly lived outside the cage, and was housebroke.
    At that time I got home from work around 2pm. On Thanksgiving day I got home and saw Terrie and her parents sitting on her deck. Now Thanksgiving in the Pacific NW is not sitting outside weather, so I went out to see what was up. Terrie was pretty upset, her parrotlet had gotten out and was up in a cottonwood tree. Terrie and her parents said they could see it, but I couldn't. To be supportive I went inside brewed up a big pot of tea and took it out and sat with them hoping that the bird would come down. After an hour or so I had to go inside. Terrie still went to work occasionally. I don't think she could actually work, but the dept was good to her. She had to work that night. She got ready while her parents watched for the bird. As it got dark she came over and asked me if she left the cage outside would I keep an eye on it in case the bird came down. Of course I said yes.
    A few minutes later I heard Terrie and her parents screaming. I ran outside and asked what happened. Terrie was hysterical. Her dad came over and told me that they had just seen a hawk grab the parrot and fly away. I don't know how Terrie did it, but she went to work a couple hours later.
    Later that night about 11pm I hear a pounding on my front door. It was Terrie screaming Russ open up. I let her in. Incredibly she said that for some reason she had to come home on her lunch and look for her bird. She said she heard a noise on the other side of the fence behind her. She climbed a ladder shined the flashlight into the neighbor's yard behind her. In his compost bin was her parrot. She said she leapt over the fence and scooped him up. Leapt back over the fence and ran inside. The bird was unharmed. TOTALLY UNHARMED!
    Terrie passed a few months later.

Imp

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  2. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

We take so much for granted, don't we? What a story. Thanks for sharing and allowing me to reflect on what I'm Thankful for.

3. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    Nice story, sorry for the loss of your friend!

4. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Thank you. That gave a lot to reflect on.

5. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I have tears in my eyes and chills on my body. What a story. Thank you for sharing.

6. highcountrychickens

highcountrychickens Head Rooster Jouster

Aug 28, 2008
    Jackson Hole
    Sometimes grace just gives us something strong when it's most needed. Thanks so much for posting this, Imp. It has shifted something in me. Gratitude is oft forgotten. [​IMG]

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Even though I got great new neighbors in Terrie's house. It will be forever Terrie's house to me. I fondly remember that a couple days before she died she was outside with her mother planting lavendar, pain free.
    The Spring that she died I had bought a couple of Gargoyles for my deck. I didn't know that she collected Gargoyles. She left me her collection.

Imp

8. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Thank you Imp [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by