1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Thanksgiving Turkey Processing

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by kuntrygirl, Sep 18, 2012.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Is anyone processing their own turkeys from their flock for Thanksgiving this year? I have some extra male Bourbon Reds that I am thinking about processing and was curious to know who else will be enjoying their own Thanksgiving turkeys raised and cared for at your own place.

What breed will you be processing and what weight are you expecting your bird to be?

If you have any pics of your birds, please post with details and other stories that you would like to share about your upcoming Turkey meal. :drool

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  2. Wax Myrtle

Wax Myrtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    Galivants Ferry, SC
    [​IMG] Hoping to raise some poults next year...

3. happyhomemom

happyhomemom Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2012
    Next year we will try a couple turkeys. Yours are beautiful!

4. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    I processed one of my turkeys already he was 29lbs live i still gotta process the other mine where broad breasted white and bronze. :)

5. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    We'll be processing our own this year. We have white hollands. I have no idea on weight yet since we aren't planning on processing until just before Thanksgiving. I don't know if that will really happen or if we will process them earlier but that's the plan for now.

6. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    We just raised 2 BBWs a Tom and a Hen. We grew them until about 20 weeks of age. We are capable of doing our own processing but turkeys were intimidating to us (and I loved them) so we had them processed by a local farm this past saturday $10 each and there weights came back at 27lbs and 17lbs. Rasing them for me was quite cost effective.. I am so proud that I raised them and I am very happy with their weights. I do also have a new flock of Bourbon Reds that are meant to supply us with poults to grow out for future thanksgivings/christmas etc. Im looking forward to what you have to say about your process and how the Bourbon Reds taste. Im excited to try my BBWs but even more excited for next years BRs.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  7. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Thank you. Good luck with yours on next year.

8. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

WOW!! That is great! Keep us posted when you cook them. I would love to know how they taste.

9. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

Good luck with the plans. Please post when your process. Let us know how it goes.

10. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

Great story. I'm a little sad to process my BRs because they are so tame and I interact with them every single day. I will be processing in November but I have to do more research to find out more details as far as the preparations before I cook them, such as brining how long to leave in fridge, etc. There may be no special instructions but I just want to make sure that I do everything right in order to have a perfect turkey meal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by