Thanksgiving vegetable side dish recipes needed.

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by alaskachick, Nov 20, 2010.

1. alaskachick

alaskachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I always bring the Sweet Potato Souffle to Thanksgiving Dinner, but apparently my daughter has learned to make it better than me, so it was assigned to her this year... Well pardon me!! Anyway, I am stuck with the vegetable casserole this year, and I don't me the greenbean casserole concoction which my family dislikes cause no one can make it good. Can anyone share with me a vegetable casserole recipe that will knock my families socks off!!!!!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  2. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Try adding sauted onions and bacon crubles to the green bean cassarole.

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Okay, this is not a cassarole, but it is a nice vegie side dish: I'm making a roasted brussel sprout salad. I halve the sprouts and toss them with Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Balsamic vinegar, ground sea salt, and crushed red pepper flakes. Then lay them out single layer in a baking pan and brown on each side in a 350 degree oven. I think it takes about 15 minutes each side, but it might be a little more. You want that nice browning as it carmalizes the vinegar. Then I just chill. It's a nice dish and you can make it up the day before and not take up oven space. I've had people who don't like brussel sprouts like this dish.

4. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    no way, i put huge cooked bacon chunks in my green bean casserole. its sooo worth it. oh, and heavy cream instead of milk

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
  6. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know much about casseroles but...

Mashed potatoes boil them up with garlic and onion and add a bit of cheese along with the butter and milk

Sweet potatoes mix up the potato part ahead of time and the topping part, least one day, day off add the top to the rest and bake... can get the recipe if you want...

Green beans with onion and bacon

Mac and cheese is fairly easy but old school comfort food

Challah Braid... bread recipe but it's SO good... can find that one if rolls aren't already taken care of

Mom used to do a broccoli, rice and cheese thing... but it was never a favorite of ours.

Ohh 5 Cup Salad... misnamed IMO... but you put in 1 cup (or equal amounts at least) crushed pineapple, manderin oranges, coconut, nuts, marshmallows, and sour cream... let it sit overnight... SO good.

Think think think... Eh... I'ma go peruse the cookbooks... goodness knows I've got enough of them!

Edit... BH&G has a couple that seem interesting...

Squash, Pear and Onion au Gratin
    Scalloped Corn
    Green Beans Supreme (includes lemon peel and sour cream among other things)

The Sweet Potatoes I make are in another book but happy to type it up if you'd like... it's handy because I can make up the "base" in the dish I'll cook it in and have it ready to go... mix up the 'topping' in a zip lock... then just put it together and toss it in... saves some time on the big day.

7. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    well dang, to keep it easy...carrots, pearl onions, red potatoes, fennel. BAM.

8. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Steam some broccoli florets (or nuke them in the microwave). Top with white sauce and crushed Ritz crackers.

White sauce:
    Melt 1 stick butter in saucepan, whisk in 3 tablespoons all purpose flour, and 3/4 cup milk, stir constantly over medium heat until it thickens. Pour over cooked broccoli. Top with crushed Ritz crackers.

Also you can always do rum carrots for 'color'. Cook some carrots, add butter and rum (or rum flavoring) to taste. (no real recipe for these, I just dump a bag of frozen crinkle cut carrots in a pan w/a little water and a chunk of butter, heat them up and add a splash of rum to them).

9. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Thought of another one; saute green beans in butter, top with roasted pecans.

10. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    A family favorite on my mom's side of the family is a green bean almondine.....but, quite modified (ehh...completely different?) from the traditional casserole kind. It is also one of the easiest and you can make it ahead of time!

3 cans french cut green beans, drained!
    1 can cream of mushroom
    1-2 small bags of almond slivers (I think the bags are 2 oz.).

Mix and serve. We serve it cold (family tradition...not sure who figured out it was really tasty cold), but some (my DH) like it heated. It is delicious!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

edited due to an important, but missed stepped.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by