Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Lil Chickie Mama, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    Okay this has probably been asked but I couldn't find it and I've been googling (poorly) for 2 days. How long does it take for a turkey to go from hatch to table? If I've missed the deadline for this Thanksgiving that's no big deal, but I think I want to do this next year. Oh and I don't plan to get a BBWhite, just a few breeds that McMurray has, I think it was 3 or 4 of the rare breeds was a package I was looking at. "This is an assortment of rare turkeys which will contain the hatchery's choice of Black Spanish, Blue Slate, Bourbon Red, Narragansett, White Holland, & Royal Palm. A good variety of the breeds that have not been sold as specific breeds will be shipped." Thanks for any responses!

2. Poupoulles

Poupoulles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Mayberry (really!)
    Thats th emix I ordered and they sent me something competely different. I have bronze, narris, white (who knows what kind) and black spanish. There are 18 left of the original 21.
    For heritage breeds it takes a good six months. I think next year is your answer.

3. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    I agree that you have missed this year's Thanksgiving unless you can find some poults or young ones local.
    If you are going to order them from a hatchery I would get your order in ASAP for shipping in March 2010. We like to raise ours out for around 10 months if possible. Gives them time to get a really good flavor going. And time for the breast to fill out nicely.
    Their assortment is for 15 poults of at least 3 different breeds, for the Rare Turkey Assortment.
    Good luck,
    Sharon

4. Harp Turkey Ranch

Harp Turkey Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    McCleary, WA
    Our heritage turkeys grow out to a nice table bird in 24-28 weeks, nice breast and great flavor.

Hatchery birds will take closer to 10-12 months to get a nice bird.

Unless you can find started birds locally you will not get a T-Day bird from poults this year. You need to have the poults April - May time or earlier if possible. Better order now for early next year or else they will be sold out that is a hot time for poults !!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by