? <~that about sums it up..

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Summerlin, May 7, 2009.

1. Summerlin

Summerlin Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2009
    It occurred to me while I was eating lunch that I should probably have posted the new pics in a new thread. :)duh:)
    I did finally get pics of my 4th chick with the camera, instead of the phone-camera..but now I'm having an issue with the flash going off whether I want it to or not. These pics still manage to be better than what I first posted, so if anybody has any ideas on this one, please let me know. [​IMG]
    He..I'm saying "he", but I have no idea, of course..he seems to feel that his purpose in life is to run between my Cochin's feet as she tries to walk and figure out what she's about to peck at, so he can swipe it and run before she gets a chance. She takes it all in stride..if I were her-and had hands-I'd throttle him. lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And this is the new little 'guy' I brought home last night..the one I thought might be dying or have some rare bone disorder because of the position he was sleeping in..[​IMG][​IMG]
    He was in with the Silkie chicks, but his legs aren't feathered.
    ?!

[​IMG]

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Likely a d'uccle, possibly silver partridge in colour.

THe new one reminds me of a polish

3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Light brahma on the top chick, the bottom one is probably a bearded polish.

4. Summerlin

May 1, 2009
    I looked up more chicken breeds yesterday/last night than I can count...
    It really does look (to my untrained eye) that d'uccle may be the answer on my fourth chick..possibly the silver partidge, possibly porcelain. I keep trying to remember more about his mama, but other than her being a very protective brown hen..my memory is not getting me anywhere.
    My next question is, how does one pronounce "d'uccle"?
    Thanks for the feedback I've gotten- you guys are great! [​IMG]

5. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    It's not a d'Uccle, they have beards. Looks like a Cochin or Light Brahma.

It's doo clay, if you're French and duh oo cle, if you're Belgian. That's the nearest I can spell the pronunciation. [​IMG]

6. Summerlin

May 1, 2009
    Quote::banging head on keyboard:

I hope, hope, hope you're right..not because I'm hoping for a Brahma--I'm not hoping against one, either--just because at this point I don't even care what he is, I just want to finally KNOW what he is! [​IMG] Any guess on gender or is this one going to take 6 months, too? [​IMG]

Thank you for the help with the pronunciations..I'm neither French nor Belgian, so maybe I'll mash the two together and hope for the best. [​IMG] This makes me wonder now what the actual, legitimate pronunciation of "Cochin" is, because I know I've heard a few different ones.

7. rizq

rizq Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Tennessee
    Quote:Yeah, me too. I have heard it cochin, coshin, and cokin. I pronounce it like it is spelled, the soften the "ch" a bit, so in between "sh" and "ch" ... if that makes any sense [​IMG] By no means does that make it correct, lol ... that is just how I pronounce (me, a non-cochin owner ... though I would like to have some frizzled cochin someday)

8. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Quote:We just call them Dookles for fun. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by