That ain't no raven tapping at my chamber door

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by robinwiththechickens, Feb 21, 2012.

1. robinwiththechickens

robinwiththechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Riverton, Wyoming
    One of my 11 month old EE hens politely pecks at the front door, when you open the door she strolls inside and makes herself at home in the cat condo to lay her egg. [​IMG] If you don't open the door she makes all kinds of noisy drama on the front porch and tries to jump in through the windows. WHY? [​IMG] No one else does this? Is she such a princess that it is beneath her to lay eggs in one of the 4 nest boxes in the coop? Four nest boxes should be enough for 10 hens right?

She started doing this a couple weeks ago, after we discovered her secret nest outside. When she first started laying she used the designated nest boxes like a normal chicken, but after taking a winter break, she now refuses to lay anywhere normal!

What is up with this? [​IMG] Has anyone else had this problem?

2. That is so funny I nearly wet myself! I don't even know what to say. PLEASE get us a picture of this hen laying an egg in your cat condo! If you could get it on video, you could win American Funniest.
    You don't really need advice, do you? Ours is not to reason why....hens lay eggs wherever they want. In the words of my venerable, ancient aunt from Blessing, Texas, "I b'lieve you've got some mighty spoilt hens!"

3. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    [​IMG] That is hilarious!! I give you props for letting her in to do the deed! Does she just leave and ask to go back out when she's done?? At least it's easy to collect that egg! Don't have to worry about bad weather. LOL

4. robinwiththechickens

robinwiththechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Riverton, Wyoming
    Quote:
    She comes in and goes straight to work and she doesn't mess around either, no more than 30 minutes later she's singing her egg song. That's our cue to pick her up and deposit her back on the front porch.

Why do eggs cause so much drama? [​IMG]

5. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    Thats awesome!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by