That darn fox.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by augustwest, May 11, 2011.

1. augustwest

augustwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2010
    North central mass
    I let my 3 ladies out to free range with my 6 5-weekers today while I was home. I left the garage door open and they crew was hanging out in there. I heard a scuffle and found a fox in my garage! Chickens freaking out and my cat was all puffed up. Foxy gobbled up a pullet and I chased her away. She wasn't scared of us as much as I thought she should be and actually circled back even after I let my (useless?) dogs out. I locked the pullets up in the garage and put the ladies back in the coop. I had an appointment I couldn't miss, so I left for just under 2 hours.

Came home to my run trashed and one chicken (Anita, my green egg layer) gone. Feathers everywhere. My wellsummer, who has given us 2 of the most beautiful dark brown eggs, headless. Ancona girl was gone.

Ancona came back and is in the garage with the babies. She flew into the rafters and is not impressed. She should start laying any day.

I'm assuming she had kits to feed. I'm trying not to be irritated- it was our risk. Dh is making a bigger, covered run this weekend. I feel so guilty locking the girls up since they love free ranging so. But, I need a bigger base population. And some darn eggs!

Darn fox.

2. Bengalcats1

Bengalcats1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Well I wouldn't feel quilty about locking them up, sounds like a death sentence if you don't

3. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    By all means, keep them locked up until you have a secure place for them! I'm sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

4. augustwest

augustwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2010
    North central mass
    Yup, they are stuck in the garage until the run is bigger, better, stronger. We'll likely go back to a few hours of free ranging before dark, but we know that comes with the occasional loss. But 3 in one day? Crappy.

5. Bengalcats1

Bengalcats1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    I wouldn't free range at All unless you are Right there with them, if not you will lose the rest, the fox knows where she can get an easy meal

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by