1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

That guy with the chickens in his arms is my hero

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by iamcuriositycat, Nov 11, 2011.

1. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Lost two of my six precious silkies tonight. So sad. I was a little late getting out to put them up, but it was still quite light out. Four came running when I called "Here, chickie chickie chickie!" Two did not. I looked in the shed, in the bins, under the shed, in all the corners. Nothing. I called. I fed treats. The other chickens called. Nothing.

Sadly, I gathered up my remaining four and put them up in the brooder where they've been sleeping till I can fix their shed from the fire. They tucked themselves in for the night and I locked them in.

Went in the house and sat down at my computer feeling sad. My husband, who doesn't care a bit about having livestock, came in and said, "Go feed the kids. There is salad and chili in the kitchen." I shuffled back to the kitchen, surprised at his unusual manner but too sad to question it, and mechanically started feeding the kids. I was thinking about two little chickens either dead or soon to be dead of either cold or predators. And four little chickens who would have a harder time staying warm without their companions. I was worrying about how if I lose another one or two, the remaining chickens won't be able to stay warm enough at night at all (they are only 9 weeks old).

Finally I get food down in front of the last of the kids, and there is a light flashing in the window, quite insistent. Finally I see that it's my husband signalling to me.

I go outside and he is standing in the backyard with a flashlight in his teeth and my two lost chickens, quite unharmed, in his arms.

My hero.

Because they are in temporary quarters at the moment, they are confused about where to go to bed. Apparently these two had decided to tuck in a little early tonight and had gone to sleep under an old dog house lid that was providing temporary shelter in case of rain. I had thought that if they were around, they would have come running with the others when I called out and started handing out treats. It also didn't occur to me that they would go to sleep there of all places. Apparently, they were quite soundly asleep. Carey (my hero) says they didn't even move when he picked them up--just kinda sleepily sat up a bit and nestled closer to him for warmth.

Yay.

2. BasicallyHeather

BasicallyHeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Lowellville, Ohio
    Awwww! So, SO happy about your happy ending! Thanks for sharing...good job, Mr. Iam!

3. BusyBlonde

BusyBlonde Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    Horray for your DH!!!! Glad it all turned out well.

4. Mother_Hen2011

Mother_Hen2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    New Mexico
    AWWWWWWW HOW ADORABLE!!! My DH has went out in the middle of the night to look for my chickens when they would get lost before bed time. He is my hero as well! That is a precious story!!! [​IMG]

5. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Yep. He's a keeper! I've got a great one, too. [​IMG]

6. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    Oh, I'm so glad this had a happy ending! What a guy [​IMG]

7. ChickensXOXO

ChickensXOXO Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    How sweet of your husband to go look for your babies.

Yay for a happy ending. [​IMG]

8. ldutch123

ldutch123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    Awww I love it

9. Sassafras

Sassafras Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    N.H.
    Glad you have someone who loves you enough to go chicken searching.[​IMG]

10. abbey808