That, my friend, is the sound of a hopeful woman

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by JennsPeeps, Feb 5, 2009.

1. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    We've been without central heat now for nearly 5 weeks. Today DBF is working on hooking up the boiler in its new location and putting in the new tankless water heater. Unfortunately he also has the flu or a nasty cold. Poor guy.

I'm sooo hopeful that it's in working order sometime this weekend. We're both desperate for heat in my house!!!

FIVE WEEKS, people!

In the process of revamping our boiler, we found out that ALL the repairmen we've paid over the past 5 years since I bought the house have NEVER cleaned the boiler's heat exchange plates. Not once, not one. WTHeck were they doing under the darn house and charging us $200 each for?!?! [​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:You aren't frozen yet? 5 weeks!!! Yikes!!!

3. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    are those the tubes? like my boiler has somewhere like 12 tubes that fire up... i watched them take them out....tap them on the ground...all this soot/sand fell out and then they vacuumed up the mess.

or is it something else?

brrr....5 weeks! i thought i was going to freeze after a day or 2 or 3...and then on and then off and then on...and then off....naughty boiler!

me,
    g

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    The heat exchange plates are where the soot came from. Tapping them doens't clean them: you need to get in there with a special brush to clean them.

5. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    oh yeah...they had one of those too.

i do remember now....

so you all are putting in a new boiler?...what is it going to cost you?

i know i'll need one soon...but i'll need to pay for labor too.

me,
    g

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by